Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 Pound Winch & accessories at Sam's Club

Default 10,000 Pound Winch & accessories at Sam's Club

I have seen this before at Sam's Club, but not at this price, only $367.

I found their website (Champion Power Equipment) here.

I am VERY tempted to purchase this setup, since it has ALL the stuff I need for a portable recovery winch setup at a VERY reasonable price.

It includes a multi-mount kit, similar (very similar, in fact) to the Warn setup. It also includes a 5' and 20' cable to provide power at the front and rear bumpers, a snatch block (not the best looking, so I may get a better one of these) and remote controller.

The only concern I have is how reliable the winch itself is. I have not seen Champion, except at Sam's club. They sell this 10,000 lb winch and a 2,500 lb winch for ATVs at my local club. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of who the real manufacturer is? Is it a re-branded mile-marker, like some of the other new brands out there?
    Last edited by RoundOut; 11-23-2007 at 01:03 PM.

CostCo sells the same brand in an 8000Lb winch. The only reports I've heard about the unit from CostCo is that it's very slow. Dunno if that applies to the one you posted.
    I don't know what to say, but God Bless America.

inexpensively made in China. That said may be decent. The best place to check IMO is by searching at www.pirate4x4.com/forum where the ultimate cheap bastards that put their stuff through hell are... You'll get a real dose of American hardcore 4WD enthusiasts over there though, and everything that entails, just a heads up... If you don't already have a registration on that forum, I would not post up if you don't have an account only, just search... they are really really cruel to new people there... I believe they just opened it up to non paying members to search. But if not let me know and I'll email you my login if you need it... Cheers, Andre

Its most certainly made in china and I wouldn't run it at its rated capacity as I'm sure they rated it as high as they possibly can, this is no different to mile marker.

It may also be inefficient, either by pulling a whole lot more current that it should or by using a weaker motor and under gearing which will make it run slow. Either way you will not be able to winch as far or for as long as an identical power setup driving a Warn winch.

Don't use the cables that come with it. To drive a 10,000 pound winch with 20 feet of cable you are looking at big cable. Cable size is especially important if the motor is inefficient as it will be pulling more current.

On one hand you do get what you pay for, on the other that winch will more than likely save your butt.

Rob
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Robthebrit
    On one hand you do get what you pay for, on the other that winch will more than likely save your butt.
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to point out that we get what we pay for. LOL

This is probably a good starter setup for a guy who does't get out near enough! It would recover my vehicle, and at some point when I get to expeditioning more often, I'll upgrade to a Warn, leaving this for my kid's vehicle. I like it for the chance that it could save my butt without breaking my wallet.

As for the cable lengths, I'm fixing to relocate my batteries to the rear of the vehicle using 2/0 guage welding cable. It will make the longest run of any smaller cable, about 4' to the back bumper. I already have a 2' run of 2 guage from the forward battery location to the bumper, and adding the 4' run of 2 guage to the rear bumper would be all that is required. Their 20' section is at least 4 guage, and probably 2 guage. I'd just chop the 20' chunk and use it for the 4' run.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    The best place to check IMO is by searching at www.pirate4x4.com/forum where the ultimate cheap bastards that put their stuff through hell are... You'll get a real dose of American hardcore 4WD enthusiasts over there though, and everything that entails, just a heads up... If you don't already have a registration on that forum, I would not post up if you don't have an account only, just search... they are really really cruel to new people there... I believe they just opened it up to non paying members to search. But if not let me know and I'll email you my login if you need it... Cheers, Andre
    Thanks, Andre. I have an account over there, although I've never posted. I hear one needs thick skin, especially if your 4x4 is a daily driver. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    ... they are really really cruel to new people there...
    Not necessarily cruel, just ruthlessly efficient in pointing out errors...

Quote Originally Posted by RoundOut
    This is probably a good starter setup for a guy who does't get out near enough! It would recover my vehicle, and at some point when I get to expeditioning more often, I'll upgrade to a Warn, leaving this for my kid's vehicle. I like it for the chance that it could save my butt without breaking my wallet.
    In the end you spend $400 for a winch that pulls a couple of times before it breaks and end up buying a real Warn anyway. You said it yourself, the fairleads look cheap, what makes you think the whole thing isn't made equally bad? I dunno, I'd rather spend the money once. I wouldn't trust it to work when I'd actually need it. Just my $0.02, but I would spend the money on a Warn M8000, which are usually only a couple of hundred dollars more than that and that would be a legitimate 8,000 lbs winch for lots of pulls. This is probably a 10,000 lbs rating for one pull, maybe. Plus the Warn, when it does start getting old is all rebuildable.
    '91 Hilux - white, dented and worn out

These are the ones found with packing foam and cardboard stuck in the grease, if there is grease at all.

Spend your money to support the companies that build quality and innovate, or we will end up with little quality gear left. IMHO you are better off without a winch than one of those. It will not likely work when you need it, and instill a false sense of security.

Wait for the $599 Warn M8000.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen |

Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest
    Spend your money to support the companies that build quality and innovate, or we will end up with little quality gear left. IMHO you are better off without a winch than one of those. It will not likely work when you need it, and instill a false sense of security.
    well said!
    i bought one of those cheap 400$ milemarkers back in the past... it would only power out halfway through the pull, while i was removing it i noticed the whole gearbox was held on by a small plastic ring and 4 screws...

took it back the next day and bought a warn
    -Lindsay
    2003 Toyota Tacoma D-Cab 4X4 TRD S/C'd
    1994 Toyota FJ80 Landcruiser
    2008 Arctic Cat 700 4X4 Diesel
    2008 Yamaha WR250R
    "this isn't a job... its an expedition"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast