10,000 Pound Winch & accessories at Sam's Club

RoundOut

Explorer
I have seen this before at Sam's Club, but not at this price, only $367.

I found their website (Champion Power Equipment) here.

I am VERY tempted to purchase this setup, since it has ALL the stuff I need for a portable recovery winch setup at a VERY reasonable price.

It includes a multi-mount kit, similar (very similar, in fact) to the Warn setup. It also includes a 5' and 20' cable to provide power at the front and rear bumpers, a snatch block (not the best looking, so I may get a better one of these) and remote controller.

The only concern I have is how reliable the winch itself is. I have not seen Champion, except at Sam's club. They sell this 10,000 lb winch and a 2,500 lb winch for ATVs at my local club. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of who the real manufacturer is? Is it a re-branded mile-marker, like some of the other new brands out there?

Last edited:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
CostCo sells the same brand in an 8000Lb winch. The only reports I've heard about the unit from CostCo is that it's very slow. Dunno if that applies to the one you posted.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
inexpensively made in China. That said may be decent. The best place to check IMO is by searching at www.pirate4x4.com/forum where the ultimate cheap bastards that put their stuff through hell are... You'll get a real dose of American hardcore 4WD enthusiasts over there though, and everything that entails, just a heads up... If you don't already have a registration on that forum, I would not post up if you don't have an account only, just search... they are really really cruel to new people there... I believe they just opened it up to non paying members to search. But if not let me know and I'll email you my login if you need it... Cheers, Andre

Robthebrit

Explorer
Its most certainly made in china and I wouldn't run it at its rated capacity as I'm sure they rated it as high as they possibly can, this is no different to mile marker.

It may also be inefficient, either by pulling a whole lot more current that it should or by using a weaker motor and under gearing which will make it run slow. Either way you will not be able to winch as far or for as long as an identical power setup driving a Warn winch.

Don't use the cables that come with it. To drive a 10,000 pound winch with 20 feet of cable you are looking at big cable. Cable size is especially important if the motor is inefficient as it will be pulling more current.

On one hand you do get what you pay for, on the other that winch will more than likely save your butt.

Rob

RoundOut

Explorer
Robthebrit said:
On one hand you do get what you pay for, on the other that winch will more than likely save your butt.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to point out that we get what we pay for. LOL

This is probably a good starter setup for a guy who does't get out near enough! It would recover my vehicle, and at some point when I get to expeditioning more often, I'll upgrade to a Warn, leaving this for my kid's vehicle. I like it for the chance that it could save my butt without breaking my wallet.

As for the cable lengths, I'm fixing to relocate my batteries to the rear of the vehicle using 2/0 guage welding cable. It will make the longest run of any smaller cable, about 4' to the back bumper. I already have a 2' run of 2 guage from the forward battery location to the bumper, and adding the 4' run of 2 guage to the rear bumper would be all that is required. Their 20' section is at least 4 guage, and probably 2 guage. I'd just chop the 20' chunk and use it for the 4' run.

dieselcruiserhead said:
The best place to check IMO is by searching at www.pirate4x4.com/forum where the ultimate cheap bastards that put their stuff through hell are... You'll get a real dose of American hardcore 4WD enthusiasts over there though, and everything that entails, just a heads up... If you don't already have a registration on that forum, I would not post up if you don't have an account only, just search... they are really really cruel to new people there... I believe they just opened it up to non paying members to search. But if not let me know and I'll email you my login if you need it... Cheers, Andre

Thanks, Andre. I have an account over there, although I've never posted. I hear one needs thick skin, especially if your 4x4 is a daily driver. LOL
:gunt:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
RoundOut said:
This is probably a good starter setup for a guy who does't get out near enough! It would recover my vehicle, and at some point when I get to expeditioning more often, I'll upgrade to a Warn, leaving this for my kid's vehicle. I like it for the chance that it could save my butt without breaking my wallet.
In the end you spend $400 for a winch that pulls a couple of times before it breaks and end up buying a real Warn anyway. You said it yourself, the fairleads look cheap, what makes you think the whole thing isn't made equally bad? I dunno, I'd rather spend the money once. I wouldn't trust it to work when I'd actually need it. Just my $0.02, but I would spend the money on a Warn M8000, which are usually only a couple of hundred dollars more than that and that would be a legitimate 8,000 lbs winch for lots of pulls. This is probably a 10,000 lbs rating for one pull, maybe. Plus the Warn, when it does start getting old is all rebuildable.

Scott Brady

Founder
These are the ones found with packing foam and cardboard stuck in the grease, if there is grease at all.

Spend your money to support the companies that build quality and innovate, or we will end up with little quality gear left. IMHO you are better off without a winch than one of those. It will not likely work when you need it, and instill a false sense of security.

Wait for the $599 Warn M8000.

LAW

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Spend your money to support the companies that build quality and innovate, or we will end up with little quality gear left. IMHO you are better off without a winch than one of those. It will not likely work when you need it, and instill a false sense of security.
well said!
i bought one of those cheap 400$ milemarkers back in the past... it would only power out halfway through the pull, while i was removing it i noticed the whole gearbox was held on by a small plastic ring and 4 screws...

took it back the next day and bought a warn :D

chet

island Explorer
I had one of those 8000 lb champion winches. pure junk! I used it a fair amount but on my sidekick so a fairly light load. the motor packed it in and then when I went to pull it off both bolts snapped off in the housing! Nice!

so I sold it for parts and am now getting a WARN.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Save your money and buy quality!

RoundOut said:
I am VERY tempted to purchase this setup, since it has ALL the stuff I need for a portable recovery winch setup at a VERY reasonable price.

I did not own one personally but have some experience with them through our local 4x4 club. One member in our local club has gone through 3 of these in the 8000 lb model in 3 years. They are slow and fail at the worse possible time. All I can say is everytime we go out now, the guys with the Warn winches end up doing all the recovery work. I'll echo what others have said, don't waste your money!

expeditionswest said:

Wait for the $599 Warn M8000.

Ditto! The Warn M8000 is a very nice unit.

Cheers,
P

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
For what its worth even though I said it might not be "that bad" I personally will only buy Warn and overkill at that, I run a 12K.. I have killed two 8K warns and a 6K on a light Nissan, a 8274 motor, M8000 clutch pack, and M6000 motor... This was all back east where you regularly encounter a muddy or spring-soaked section of trail 300-500 yards long, yielding deep mud with zero traction, so you have to winch up the whole section...

I actually consider the M8000 particularly a fairly light duty winch.. After a year or two of serious regular winching unfortunately it will probably fail too. For 2-3 good episodes of winching a year or less (I find I hardly ever have use my winch out west) it will be probably be fine even on a heavier rig.

Even high quality winches do so-so, again comes down to how often and how you have to use it but it is nice to know that your winch is solid as a rock and totally reliable.. And safe...

That said we installed a T Max winch the other day (also cheap Chinese - but higher quality and its own unique brand) and it was pretty decent quality at least as far as housing and cosmetics in my opinion... Also I believe there is a new budget Warn lineup...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
crawler#976 said:
Not necessarily cruel, just ruthlessly efficient in pointing out errors... :sport_box

Agreed but they can be particularly cruel.. I have been on Pirate since '02, I think over 4500 posts.. Probably less than 200 in the last two years... Great tech and cutting edge especially on manufacturers products.. But the community there has really gone down the tubes IMO, and there is a lot of "newbie bashing." Even in the safe newbie section they created...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles