For those of you with the 416 style trailer how longer over stock did you extend it

Jevy

Adventurer
greg did you cut the lunette with the hand grinder? If so bad is it to cut and drill? I would appreciate any info because I plan on tackling this in the morning. Thanks.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey Jevy,
Yes, I cut it with a hand grinder. I would say, use good quality cutting disks. I could quite literally watch the disk get smaller as I cut through!! Drilling, well use good bits (you will likely need a few) and a LOT of cutting lube. I highly recommend a drill press and a set of clamps too. It took me 30 min to drill out that cast iron, and it got SUPER hot. Mind you the bits were used, but the first one was near new and I still went through 3. lol

After I cut the end off the lunette, I test fit what was left into the tube, it wont fit. I flattened out the sides to slide in to the tube using a flap disk, worked excellent and fits super tight. Take your time to get it to fit in straight. Remember too, if you are going to weld it to the tube like I did, cast needs to be pre heated or it may crack (you probably know this, thought I would say it anyways).

Happy chopping!

Jevy

Adventurer
I was worried about getting the lunette off and planned on having to cut it in half while still on the trailer. I was able to get the lunette without much of a problem. I can now cut it with my abrasive chop saw. My back started bothering me a bit so I had to call it a day a little earlier than expected. Tomorrow I will cut the bar stock and start looking at what all I need to do to get the draw bar put together. Thanks!!!!

Jevy

Adventurer
got a wild hair and cut the stock this afternoon. With an abrasive chop saw it took about 30 seconds to cut through the lunette. I cut one piece of each steel 2.5x.2.5x3/16 tubing and 2x2x1/8 tubing and sleeved the two together. The lunette will fit inside the 2x2 tubing just about perfect so I should have a very stout tongue.

Jevy

Adventurer
I am going to wait until tomorrow to weld up the tongue. Woke up to my back hurting some so I decided to put off any work today.

BIG JOHN

Observer
28" allowed me to add a gas can and still open the tailgate on my JKU!

Attachments

• m-416.jpg
    m-416.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 19

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Trailer tongue

Here are some pictures . The winch and vise are new. I used a dual wheel Fulton folding trailer wheel and had the stock wheel cut off and a 10" pneumatic welded on as a replacment. The trailer rolls much better on the dirt as well as on hard surfaces.

Attachments

• DSCF6045.jpg
    DSCF6045.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF6053.jpg
    DSCF6053.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Dayone008.jpg
    Dayone008.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Grand Canyon trip 054.jpg
    Grand Canyon trip 054.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 6

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Love the winch idea, was talking about picking a 2000# one up a few weeks ago when they were on sale just for this same purpose. I figured it is a LOT easier to haul your loaded trailer if you had to disconnect it on a tight trail or if you had to load it in an awkward spot etc.

You use it much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94