2012 Wrangler build/Mat 2013 trip

Anonymark

Observer
EDIT: 1 handed typing is no fun Title should be "May" 2013 thread.

Love this forum! I started out with my 2012 Black Forest Green Wrangler Unlimited Sport and did a few modifications. I added a 2" AEV lift (learned a lot doing it myself!) and then 33" Duratracs and AEV geometry control brackets. Realized pretty quick that I was more of an Expo type Jeeper and not a Rock Crawler

Jeep.jpg

I added a custom decal, just for the heck of it;

Jeep2.jpg

The coordinates are Area 51, which is the small bumper sticker too, It's a family joke....

Anyhow, I'm in stage 2 of my build for a May 2013 2 week Grand Canyon trip from Phila PA. Then only problem is that I need to prioritize my mods, I had planned on a Gobi Rack, but I broke my elbow and took a big pay hit with no OT now....it's either the rack or the trip, so I'm going to have to do the mods in April now once I heal and save some cash...

I'm planning on adding a new front bumper with winch, and an OR-Fab bumper with gas can carriers.

I'll be taking me, my beautiful wife of 20 years, 12 gallons of water (plus water that is in the cooler) and and extra 10 gallons of gas. I'm in the trip planning stages now and wondered if it's realistic to think we can make the trip with only 10 extra gallons of fuel and 12 of water while ding the North Rim for 3-4 days (mainly camp and park, not to much driving) and a few other 2 day type detours on the way out...

I'm well set on the camping gear/cooking side, I just want to make Mrs Anonymark a happy girl!

Last edited:

lbrito

Broverland Expert
Sounds like a fun trip. There will be plenty of places to grab fuel and 10 extra gallons with a full tank of gas will be plenty to get you in deep and out back!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Before kids we used to remove the rear seat from the Disco, and built a cheap full length shelf. This provided a great sleeping area, as well as ability to carry tons of gear, extra water, etc. I prefer to carry fuel outside, which you have several options for on the JK. One big advantage was security in bear country, and the ability to leave early am and not contend with heavy dew or rain- aka wet tent, etc.
Sounds like a great trip, and I vote for creativity to carry gear, avoid spending $$ on 'stuff' like racks that will then cost more $$ for fuel and decerease comfort by increasing noise and top heaviness...
All the best with the elbow- that even sounds painful.
Cheers

Anonymark

Observer
Thanks everyone! I'll keep the thread updated as I do some more trip planning. I have lots of time to be creative now.....

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
My advice is to buy the synergy full suspension bolt kit and install it ASAP.
At 5k miles the sleeves inside the control arm and track bar bushings are all buggered up and have slack in them. The holes in the frame side front track bar bracket are oval shaped now. I installed the lift at 700 miles, properly torqued everything, and re torqued every 500-1000 miles to be cautious.
Also notice that your lower control arm brackets on the front axle have square holes where the bolt goes, and no cam washer of any sort. The AEV kit may have come with washers to use up there.

Anonymark

Observer
Thanks brian, I did that when I put the AEV lift on. I got the old front bar frame bracket bolt though, I need to get the newer bolt there and install it. Up until I got hurt, I had been checking every few weeks or so and I re-torqued every 1000 miles also just to make sure I was good. I'm at 8,000 miles now and all looks pretty good. I was amazed that the Jeep came with such a big flaw, but I guess most daily driver's would never notice.

Just a side note, I've also moved my switch panel for the front lights and reverse lights up to a "el-cheapo" version of the S-pod, which was a Daystar lower dash panel cut out and mounted into the plastic above the rear view mirror.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles