Tom Brokaw and Yvon Chouinard at Zeitgeist '07

Clutch

<---Pass
I just find funny that this was posted on a website, all about how much crap you can bolt on to your vehicle.

EDIT: The message I received from the video was to simplify your life, maybe some can't totally turn your backs on being connected, but, hey, maybe turn that damn thing off once and a while, and enjoy the view. ;)

I see his point, we are becoming homogenized, I don't know about you, I personally don't care for what is happening out there.

We have a generation coming up that doesn't know how to do anything with their hands, everything is given to them...how many kids now a days, don't know how to drive a manual transmission? Let alone create/build/fix something with their own hands?

More and more people have eletronic safety nets, how many of you refuse to travel without a GPS and a cell phone? Do yourself a favor and leave that crap at home, hell, don't even take a map on your next outing. How can you personally discover anything when you have a GPS leading you by your nose? Don't hire a guide, don't look at any maps, don't ask anyone for directions...get to the crossroads and flip a coin...yawl catch my drift? One must first get themselves into trouble to learn how to get out of it.

That is what I think, I hear, Yvon is talking about.

Last edited:

shahram

Adventurer
articulate said:
How do the Amish fit into that postulation? Arguably a more socially involved culture with one another than the rest of us suburbanites, and one that lives off the grid.

The Amish have made, and continue to make, their share of concessions to the English in order to preserve (or best preserve) their way of life, as demand for low-output, labor-intensive farming has decreased.

articulate said:
In Chouinard's case, he's just living they way we all did in, oh say, 1980 - without a personal computer and without a cell phone. That's the disconnection they discuss in the interview.

You can't compare expectations of today with those of 1980, just as you couldn't compare the expectations of people in 1980 with those of 1953. It is not, by cultural consensus, an unreasonable expectation to be able to communicate with anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. Anyone who says that they can shun technology and electronic communication is either sacrificing in large part their own economic viability, or they engage in some rare sector of business which doesn't require immediate information and is still in demand, or are like Yvon Chouinard, and reap the benefits of an enterprise which they no longer run "hands-on" on a day-to-day basis.

articulate said:
Sheezuz, if anyone wants to claim that it must be easy for him because he's so damn rich, it's best to consider the hard work he put into business to begin with. In addition to the simple fact the dude is 69 years old and still working . . .

He might be working, but he's not running Patagonia. He's consulting, he does a certain amount of PR, but most of his time is spent in leisure. I envy the guy, I really do. Along with hard work, he worked into a "right time, right place" scenario in which his eccentric methods were in demand, and a void in a niche market existed. The days of hand-molded designs and circulated product samples are far gone. Patagonia hasn't been run like the early Pacific Iron Works since the mid-'80s. Friends of mine who worked for Patagonia for years have said that there's very much a "man behind the curtain" problem at Patagonia, and the company is fraught with the same business SNAFUs that come with the territory, and have had to make the same sellout concessions that any business does in order to stay profitable. He can afford to do it his way because his way is done for him.

articulate said:
Just because many of us can't stand the pressure of not being attached via wireless gadget to work, doesn't make Chouinard some kind of a rich corporate bastard who has it easy.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the things he said, and frankly, it's hard to pick on anything he said because he's kind of scatter-brained and all over the place, but I'll say this: if I want to hear some life secret which will be a boon to my modern, stultified suburban life, I want to hear it from one of my peers, some struggling professional with a family and a demanding business and the ties that bind, not a 69 year old multi-millionaire eccentric genius who can afford to point a sailboat towards the sunset when things go pear-shaped. If and when Patagonia ever goes belly up or sells out, I want to hear from the guy who sands glass at Point Blanks eight hours a day. I want to know what impact Chouinard's life philosophies have had on him.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
shahram said:
If and when Patagonia ever goes belly up or sells out, I want to hear from the guy who sands glass at Point Blanks eight hours a day. I want to know what impact Chouinard's life philosophies have had on him.
Good post, especially the above quote and the "man behind the curtain" issue. No doubt, Chouinard is an eccentric genius who benefited from right time/right place. He went out on a limb charging absurd prices for outdoor wear ($80 for a sweatshirt in the 1980's?!) and it worked perfectly. But I imagine for every Yvon Chouinard who made millions there are 100 other visionaries like Chuck Barfoot who didn't fare as well.

It's funny you used the guy sanding blanks as an example: I was trying to think of other homegrown, successful companies in the area. Al Merrick and Channel Islands was the first thing that popped into my mind. I wonder if Patagonia will one day go a similar direction.

Last edited:

windy

Observer
Kermit said:
I just find funny that this was posted on a website, all about how much crap you can bolt on to your vehicle.

EDIT: The message I received from the video was to simplify your life, maybe some can't totally turn your backs on being connected, but, hey, maybe turn that damn thing off once and a while, and enjoy the view. ;)

I see his point, we are becoming homogenized, I don't know about you, I personally don't care for what is happening out there.

We have a generation coming up that doesn't know how to do anything with their hands, everything is given to them...how many kids now a days, don't know how to drive a manual transmission? Let alone create/build/fix something with their own hands?

More and more people have eletronic safety nets, how many of you refuse to travel without a GPS and a cell phone? Do yourself a favor and leave that crap at home, hell, don't even take a map on your next outing. How can you personally discover anything when you have a GPS leading you by your nose? Don't hire a guide, don't look at any maps, don't ask anyone for directions...get to the crossroads and flip a coin...yawl catch my drift? One must first get themselves into trouble to learn how to get out of it.

That is what I think, I hear, Yvon is talking about.

I like your perspective, Kermit. :iagree:

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
articulate said:
By the way, a lot of the "disconnectedness" discussed in the interview is about cell phones and computers; modern gadgets and technology. He's not talking about being away from his company at length so he can go play. Chouinard emphasizes getting "your hands dirty" to get the job done, rather than relying on technology or delegation. I suspect that some of us feel the same way about cell phones as he does. While his company is "connected," (It's the way businesses are, he says) he chooses not to stay tied by a blackberry or cell phone.

I first read about Chouinard in a collection of historical accounts of early Yosemite big wall climbs. He forged his own pitons to make incredible first ascents when only a handful of people were climbing in Yosemite - he designed, engineered, built and used the equipment he'd need to ascend a new line on El Cap. Today's climbers waltz into REI and buy what they might need, sometimes on credit.

In my readings, I got the impression that he was a hard working individual with vision. I suspect that's how he's come to have a fabulous group of people working for him. He didn't just wake up one day and have thriving business under his palms. He's a hands-on kind of guy.

I'm not sure if we're about to crucify the guy for having on-the-fringe beliefs while also being highly successful (gee, how lucky for you...), but I thought this was worth saying.

Yeah he developed and marketed the "RURP"... "Realized Ultimate Reality Piton". Not much larger than a postage stamp, good for hammering into very tiny cracks in rock where nothing else will fit. Meant for extreme aid climbing. An early 70's climber named Charlie Porter once climbed a previously unclimbable route on El Cap in where he placed 35 RURPs in a row going up. THIRTY FIVE! Now that's some scary stuff :REAdvRockClimber: :smileeek:

Clutch

<---Pass
shahram said:
I want to hear it from one of my peers, some struggling professional with a family and a demanding business and the ties that bind...

You need some new peers...

I think some of you guys & girls are missing the message. Who cares where it is coming from, it still is a good message, whether it be from some self made millionaire or some guy living out of his van in the park.

Try to live simple, you'll be happier. It isn't rocket science, you don't have to be a hippy...you don't have to be rich.

We live simple, we are not rich, we are happy. I have had those "struggling professional" friends chasing that all mighty dollar....man, they were quite annoying, I got me some new peers.

Yes, I need a cell phone for work 5 days a week. My days off and vacation, I turn it off...(hell, most of the time I don't even answer it when it is on.) I take my watch off. I refuse to own a GPS, I rarely look at maps...I rather find my way on my own.

I am not anti-technology...I am anti-abuse of technology. Do you really need to run your mouth all of the time? i.e. talking into that cell phone ALL of the time...(the cell phone while driving is a great example)

Look at new housing..."what shade of beige would you like?" why in the hell do all of the houses look like the other? Hit a button, the garage door opens, you disappear, no interaction with your neighbor....we are becoming homogenized...it is truely sad. Do we really need a Walgreens on every corner?

We are becoming a society of instant gratification...look at people's credit card dept. What ever happened to patiences and saving for the things you want.

Sure this internet thing is a good tool, I have met some great people because of it...but man, turn the ************* thing off, more often than not. Go watch the moonrise, or the sunset, take your kids for bike ride....it is the simple things in life that matter.

Last edited:

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
For the most part i think Chouinard is on the button, I admire and respect the man for being outspoken. I didn't get the impression he was lecturing that we should all be disconnected its a way of life he has chosen, not to move with the times in his personal life. As for most of us that is an impossible way of life in this day and age.

He was more pointing out that we should try the alternatives, working hard taking risks, being an explorer and having that feeling inside is what turns it on for me. Yes I love to be without a cell phone signal in off the beaten track places it gives me that feeling of self dependency and the feeling of accomplishment when i return that i did it without the aid of GPS and outside assistance. Like his quote about being pushed and pulled up Everest "He was an ********-hole when he set out and an ********-hole when he returned what did he get from it?" Doing it yourself gives you that feeling. Battling the elements and fixing whats broke. But I sit on the fence a little here. I have and will continue to take a satellite phone to some locations for safety. Its there its a tool and i will use it if i need it. Much like the climbing tools he forged you use them because it makes life easier and safer to a degree. But you could take a helicopter and not bother climbing, and never get that self accomplishment feeling. So for me and i suspect most people on this board I understand were he is coming from a little bit. Otherwise you are viewing the wrong board!

With regard to the Internet.The balancing act is difficult, Having access to the Internet in China India etc.. ect.. Has certainly had a good and reforming effect on millions of lives. The knowledge gained has helped to spur the formation of democracies. And that has to be a good thing.

But It also has a down side, As an example My wife and I spent a couple of year's or so in India working on Leprosy colonies. It was a marvelous time for us. We like most not-for-profits were based near an airport. For us Chennai (Madras) .

Most of the colonies were situated within a days drive of the city. Of course they were, that's were the aid comes from. But we did on many occasion get off the beaten tracks and tackle some nightmare (Meaning great fun for me) Roads. And tracks that took us a couple of days each way and more. There we found a colony that was untouched by outside ideals, They rarely ever saw a motor vehicle and had no electricity or what we would consider utilities (This is only back in 2005). The strange thing was they were remarkably happy, Happier in their demeanor and positive outlook than most westerners i have met. I made a mistake taking a volunteer there once, She took a lap-top. And the kids gathered round looking at the pictures from her home town New York. I could feel the Kid's thinking the grass is greener on the other side of that hill i want to go there. The next time we visited I just went with a member of staff Gopi. And he gave a very good lesson on how bad things can be in the western world without family values. I still wish we had never taken the lap-top. But in the main I think the Internet is a wonderful thing and does a heap more good than harm.

So in my summary i would say that i feel lucky that i have the opportunity to explore the planet at this time, The world has become a smaller place with the ability to travel and experience new cultures without losing touch. (ie:the Internet and cell phones). But I also feel the world is losing something, as Chouinard pointed out we are losing one language a day and our cultures and the way we live are changing in this more homogenized world. And it will get worse or better form whichever stand point you view it. My wife is pregnant, and I fear our child will not have the same opportunities for adventure that we have been offered so were will he?she find that sence of achivment. Maybe the universe!!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I liked the video, but it was interesting to read beyond the words being said. I saw someone very uncomfortable and disinterested - checked out. There was little passion in his message.

Other than the general message of self examination, and some wise words on simplicity, there was little relevance to the common man IMO.

I have the sincerest respect for Yvon's accomplishments in life, but believe that at the end of a great run, the goal is not to "check-out" but to teach. In a way, I think he is trying (with the book and this appearance), but he seems very uncomfortable in his own skin (role), and as a manufacturer.

Only my assessment, which is likely way off... :)

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Scott, I know someone who worked with Yvon for a long time and still keeps in touch with him and his wife Melinda. I don't think you're way off at all.

Technological implements are like firearms. They are simply tools, which can be used properly or improperly. It's the person behind the screen or trigger who determines the end result, good or evil.

Roseann and I are well-connected out here via satellite internet and antenna-boosted cell phone. I read the news every morning because I feel it is my duty as a human and a U.S. citizen to know what's going on in the world. Then I turn it off and go outside - very simple. The idea that mere possession of these things makes you a slave to them betrays very weak willpower, I think. Like the idea that owning a gun will make you a criminal.

Simplification on an individual basis is a good thing. I have never - never - heard anyone who has done so pine about what he left behind. And yet as a species we must keep learning, advancing, and exploring. That drive is the only thing that truly makes us human. I admire the Amish for their dedication to a community-wide system of simplicity, but let's be honest: If our entire society was like they are, we would not have reached the moon, or the poles, or the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Jonathan Hanson said:
I admire the Amish for their dedication to a community-wide system of simplicity, but let's be honest: If our entire society was like they are, we would not have reached the moon, or the poles, or the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
Good point. Plus we'd all be speaking German.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles