Lifted MKV Golf

mldouthi

Awesome. I bet it is a pretty stiff ride with tig lift springs on there. I know mine is just with regular tig springs on the stock struts.

Looks great though. Post some more pictures when the tires are on also.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
I had the tires installed this afternoon and drove it from Las Vegas to LA. It rides very smooth. I would say it rides smoother than my wife's stock Passat wagon. I will post pictures tomorrow. The 215/75-15's BFG's on stock wheels were a tight fit but require absolutely no cutting or modifying of anything to fit. No rubbing even at full lock on the steering wheel. There is no way to get larger tires to fit without cutting the fenders. I lucked out.

mldouthi

I had the tires installed this afternoon and drove it from Las Vegas to LA. It rides very smooth. I would say it rides smoother than my wife's stock Passat wagon. I will post pictures tomorrow. The 215/75-15's BFG's on stock wheels were a tight fit but require absolutely no cutting or modifying of anything to fit. No rubbing even at full lock on the steering wheel. There is no way to get larger tires to fit without cutting the fenders. I lucked out.

Cool. Yeah, I didnt have to modify anything until I went to 235-75-15s. Also with the stock wheels it keeps everything tucked under the fenders to keep it from rubbing on up and down movement.

Thats crazy the ride is so smooth. I wonder if the lift springs are taller but softer springs. Before I added all the extra weight from the supercharger stuff my car also rode as stiff as when I had ksport coilovers on it. But it made it handle really well still though.

Looking forward to the picture.

SiliconTi

Stuck in the Mud
Ok, that is a cool build. I did a MK1 Fiesta back in the early '90s like this. With a new cam, bigger carb and some springs/shocks, I took that thing over every 4x4 road I could find. What a blast that was.

Gee, now I'm kinda jealous...

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I've seen this guy tooling around the city quite often, and always wanted to chase him down see what he had done to his car. Good find OP.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
before
0414001436.jpg

70,000 miles on 225/35-19's take there toll on wheels, tires and suspension. not to mention that my wife hated to go on any drives longer than 20 minutes. the 19's got bent, replacing tires are to expensive, the coilover suspension was shot and I wanted to drive down power line roads. so.... what else is there to do other than go up?

after
IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
the wish list is growing every day. at the top of my list is a skid plate to protect the oil pan, new transmission and motor mounts. it seems that when the mounts go bad the motor/transmission tends to drop lower into the engine bay. this, combined with the lifted suspension, creates a interference issues for the passenger side drive axle. it seems to hit the lower pivot for the control arm at full droop. new aftermarket mounts (blackforest) are a little out of my budget right now. I have to get them very soon. I fear that a new passenger drive axle will be needed if this is not taken care of asap.
I went to an 4X4 shop in Burbank California today to price out a roof rack. but after a quote of over $500 for a bolt together unit, my plans changed. I plan to build one my self.
I did have one issue today. I think I forgot to torque down one of my shocks in the rear. the lower bolt backed out and it was lost. of course when I called the dealer they had to order it. I remembered a VW wrecking yard in Irwindale (FAST) that I had used before to get parts for my other VW's. I limped my bunny down there and found a GTI that already had the rear shocks removed and whoever pulled them returned the mounting bolts into the locations. $5 for two and I was back on the road. now I have a spare. when I get back home I'll remove them and add Loctite so it wont happen again.
so far I love the way the car rides and handles. even without sway bars it corners well with minimal body lean. I love that I don't even need to slow down for speed bumps anymore.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
the alignment shop had more problems aligning my car with the coil overs installed. they had no problems getting the alignment perfect with the tiguan springs on the stock struts. the only thing that is changed are the springs. everything else is factory equipment. well....the longer rear shocks are not OEM. but that doesn't matter with the alignment in the rear of the car.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Where could I find some steelie rims like that for my impreza wagon?? Love the golf, whenever I let go of the wagon, a golf is on the list.

I would like to find some rims and stuff like that for my impreza wagon to put winter tires on.

Anti Bling

Off Road Rabbit
the wheels are the stock 15 inch steel wheels that came on the car from the factory. I am not running the hubcaps. the bolt pattern is 5X114. if that is the same as the wagon then they might fit. but I'm not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke