How do you lift a Tor-Flex Axle?

kraqus

Norcalwood
I am about to pick up a Cargo trailer that comes with a torque axle. I already see that I will need to raise the trailer a bit (6 inches?) to make it even with my truck. The axle is welded to the Body of the trailer. Do you have any ideas how to safely accomplish this?

Benny

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Torsion axles can come with the arm in several different positions, the arm up, the arm straight, the arm dropped, I presume you have drop arms on your trailer. Most of the arms are fixed in this position, but a few manufacturers make axles where the arms are adjustable on the axle.

If you have adjustable arms then you may be able to reset them to get more drop.

Gaining six more inches of lift out of the torsion axle through adjustment would be almost impossible unless the arms are currently in an upward position.

When there is a difference in height between the trailer and the vehicle it is usually accounted for by using draw bars with different drops and raises, are you just trying to adjust for the height difference or do you want the trailer to have more ground clearance?

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
If it is a Dexter TorFlex, it should be bolted to brackets that are welded to the frame. And as Martyn says they are set from the factory at a certain degree. I use one with a 45 degree down drop, giving the axle a six inch drop.

If you need to raise the trailer for heigth, you can remove the bracket and add square tubing to the frame for the ride heigth, or you could have the trailer manufacturer order the drop you want. It should be an easy trade out.. I would not buy the trailer if the axle and brackets are welded together.

spihoppy2

raising a welded on torsion axle

ive have done about 5 a year for the past 15--most torsion axles are bolted [side or top mount ] but a lot of manufactures just weld them on the frame . hopefully the welds can be ground off with a cutting wheel [dont cut the bracket off the axle cut the bracket off then frame on both sides .if you cant use a grinder use acutting torch and grind smooth before starting put a jack stand on each side of the axle once you have the axle off [the brackets are 8to 10" long cut 2 peices of 6" channell about 1 inch longer than the brackets center them on top of the brackets and weld do this to both sides .then weld the 6"channell to the bottom of your frame rail on both sides ,mark the center line of the hub on the frame before you start cutting. raise the axle back up to the bottom of the frame and weld out .i always take apeice of sq. tubing and weld it in the center of the 6"channell all the way across the trailer just for side support . its really just aspacer with a brace welded in the middle of the 6' CHANNELL FOR strengh i did a tandem trailer last month 2 axles and had to go up 8" so i used 2 peices of 4" channell it only took 2 hours for the tandem but these axles were bolted on the brackets so i just welded the 8" spacer on the axle brackets clamped it on the bottom frame rail ,welded it out and welded in the cross brace and done

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
If you look at my latest build, you will see the frame laid out. On the left side you will see two inch frame with a 4 inch riser. This will be welded to the main frame. I needed it for the water tank. I have been waiting on 2x4 steel for a week now. Hopefully I will be here today and have the base frame welded this weekend, you will be able to see it then. On the Old Sarge trailer I did a 3 inch riser, you should be able to see it in the early frame pictures.

Bob

kraqus

Norcalwood
If you look at my latest build, you will see the frame laid out. On the left side you will see two inch frame with a 4 inch riser. This will be welded to the main frame. I needed it for the water tank. I have been waiting on 2x4 steel for a week now. Hopefully I will be here today and have the base frame welded this weekend, you will be able to see it then. On the Old Sarge trailer I did a 3 inch riser, you should be able to see it in the early frame pictures.

Bob

Where can I see your build?
I only found this thread on your profile:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/79306-New-American-Made-Trailer?highlight=

Benny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior