A liner questions/concerns

Vantage

Adventurer
Hi all,

I have been looking into an offroad worthy trailer and I found this on the local craigslist.

I am curious to those with A-liner knowledge what it is.

The owner has no idea the year or model (She calls it a SportLiner Expedition); which are two completely different models as far as I know. She also calls it 18' from bumper to bumper, even though it has a kitchenette on the back, and a storage bin on the front. Looks to me to be a 10-12 foot box.

I am also VERY un nerved by the back tire setup.

Not only does this decrease your approach and departure angles greatly, but it must put 90% of the trailers weight on the hitch.
She said it pulls find with a Jetta, but I don't see how thats possible with a ~2000lb weight nearly all on a hitch.

The trailer is a very good price, but I don't think I will get it because of the major wheel placement flaw. Now im just curious for more info.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/rvs/3409232241.html
3E63K73M75N25Fc5Jdcbeef73332549941361.jpg

3n43Kd3mc5K55F25M7cbed64a47badace1a1f.jpg
latest 059.jpg
latest 160.jpg

Vantage

Adventurer
After making thoughts I think I answer my own answer based on dimentions the owner gave to me.

seems to be a Sport box on a Expedition frame.

The worst of both worlds.

A long frame meant for room with a short box

and

A short box for offroading on a long frame

Then the owner hid the extra frame length by adding stupid storage bins on either end.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
I have heard the Aliner has frame problems, mostly tongue issues, and they do not stand behind them. I have not seen the problem, but have talked to several owners that were not happy with them. They are based of the Chalet, which is a pretty good trailer. As I understant it the Chalet, which started in Hemet, California, was founded by two brothers. They got upset with each other and the one sold his side of the business and it ended up in Washington, still being made. The other brother founded the Aliner. They are similar in design, but I have never seen anything like the one shown.

I have owned two Chalets, and found them to be pretty good. Wikid is upgrading one of mine to an off road version. I normally chat with anyone that has a Chalet or Aliner, no negatives on the Chalet, but quite a few on the Aliner.

That is about the extent of my knowledge on them. I loved my Chalet, but not room for 4 great danes. lol

Bob

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I never saw an A liner in the US that had the wheels set to the rear.
just a centered axle. It is cool looking and if the asking price was under $3000.00
I think I would go for it and then build a completly new frame for under it.

Vantage

Adventurer
Talking to the owner, I believe I could get it for $4000.

Sadly I do not have any welding skills so the camper/axle would stay as is.

Vantage

Adventurer
I looked at the trailer this past weekend, it was in fantastic shape with HUGE ground clearance.

I believe the axel was so far back was because it had a mini toy hauler on the back end. It was basically just an extention of the frame with a deck on it big enough for 1 dirt bike. The couple turned this deck into a storage box, which is why it looks so out of place. The towed it with a diesel Jetta (in pictures) and it barely made the rear of the car squat. My Tacoma would have zero problems pulling the trailer even if it was a tad tongue heavy.

It was a little longer than a regular A-Liner sport, but with the amazing ground clearance and the mild trails I do it would cope fine.

I am working on a price with the owner, but It does not look like we will reach an agreement.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Check out the tongue, how it is connected, I have talked to at least three that have had the tongue break. I think it can be fixed, but would require welding, but any good welding shop should be able to fix the problem. I loolked at it a couple of years ago, but can not recall the situation. Other than that I think they will work for what you are wanting to do.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles