AvMap Geosat 4x4 Crossover

trump

Adventurist
Was searching around for a GPS that better supports APRS functionality and I noticed this new(er) offering from AvMap.

3.jpg

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/products/terr/geosat_4x4_crossover-728/introduction

Does anybody have any insight to the cost and availability?

trump

Adventurist
Seems to currently only have European and African maps available based on their website.

Looks like that was a problem with my link for the default country settings. You can choose the North American version of the site in the upper right. However, it does appear it's only pictured with Italian for language settings currently. That makes me think it still hasn't hit our shores yet.

Edit: The video does show English menus... seems I'll be giving their office a call.

Last edited:

fanga

I know very well this gps, it can works in english of course!

Looks like that was a problem with my link for the default country settings. You can choose the North American version of the site in the upper right. However, it does appear it's only pictured with Italian for language settings currently. That makes me think it still hasn't hit our shores yet.

Edit: The video does show English menus... seems I'll be giving their office a call.

taugust

Adventurer
While I didn't read the site, HRO has the APRS ready AvMap G6 APRS for $430. It seems to be setup to work with the Kenwood radios. Not sure if the one you mention has the same APRS functionality. You might compare the two.

I am in the process of putting my Toughbook based nav and APRS system back in operation after several computer failures. I bought another Toughbook that will arrive on Friday. I have a GPS kit for it that will be built in. There is free software to share the GPS output among several programs. It can do other digital modes as well. Should be up by DRV.

Edit: just realized this is an old thread.

trump

Adventurist
While I didn't read the site, HRO has the APRS ready AvMap G6 APRS for $430. It seems to be setup to work with the Kenwood radios. Not sure if the one you mention has the same APRS functionality. You might compare the two.

I am in the process of putting my Toughbook based nav and APRS system back in operation after several computer failures. I bought another Toughbook that will arrive on Friday. I have a GPS kit for it that will be built in. There is free software to share the GPS output among several programs. It can do other digital modes as well. Should be up by DRV.

Edit: just realized this is an old thread.

No worries, Tim.

I'm still thinking about a possible replacement for my Garmin. The second battery has given out on this unit and now can only run while plugged in. Also the time hasn't been syncing after connecting with the satellites. The date is constantly 1970 something... for a GPS that was built in 2006, the default date being in the 70's seems absurd (at lease without a flux capacitor. :sombrero:) Its starting to show its age and it never did successfully talk with the Yaesu, so I'd like to replace it and get my APRS up and running. I discovered that Garmin Nuvi units with the FMI (Fleet Management Interface) feature can be used with APRS radios. Right now the Gamin 1490LMT with some topo maps added seem to be on my short list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94