Tepui Tent Ladder Problems

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
It seems about half of the time I climb into my tent after it is set up, I'll make it to the point where my whole body weight is in the tent when one of the ladder extensions will give out and the whole tent will hang towards the ground, completely unsupported. Usually it's one of the top extensions near where it connects to the tent. Obviously this is terrible for the tent, and the mounts on my roof. I only weigh 180 lbs so I'm definitely not too heavy for the ladder. Anybody else have this problem? I'm currently on a trip in the northern states and don't plan to be home for another 3 or so months, and I'm staying in the tent every night. I'm looking for a temporary fix I can try until I can get home and can either get an new ladder or find a better way to fix it. Any ideas on how to deal with this while I'm on the road is appreciated!!

outsidecurtisp

Observer
I have a CVT tent; probably the same ladder. The first time this happened I called them and they sent me a replacement ladder. I installed it and went out camping again. It did the same exact thing. When I got home I took the ladder apart to see what was going on. It's held together by set screws on each rung. Two per side. There were a few that had the latch pin holes misaligned. This is what causes the ladder to not engage and fall. I did my best to get everything lined up and retighted all the screws. Being that the ladder is aluminium; it's pretty easy to widen the hole a little here and there. That seemed to solve the problem. Good Luck.

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
I have a CVT tent; probably the same ladder. The first time this happened I called them and they sent me a replacement ladder. I installed it and went out camping again. It did the same exact thing. When I got home I took the ladder apart to see what was going on. It's held together by set screws on each rung. Two per side. There were a few that had the latch pin holes misaligned. This is what causes the ladder to not engage and fall. I did my best to get everything lined up and retighted all the screws. Being that the ladder is aluminium; it's pretty easy to widen the hole a little here and there. That seemed to solve the problem. Good Luck.

Thanks! I'll try that out when I get home

rangerdogg

Adventurer
It happened to me my first night with my tepui and i called evan about it .Those set screw style suck.The set screw are not lined up with the holes. Losen the screws and turn them until they click in and retighten them.And get some big hose clamps if that doesnt work and tighten them unter the first run ontop and it should work .Them call evan and tell him to give you a new ladder .They sent me a new one that doesnt have the set screws in the new style.Ya it is scary when that holds the weight of tent and it could bend hinge.Try that good luck

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
The first one we setup did this. We took it apart and one of the holes where the detent fits as it extends was drilled incorrectly. We elongated the hole and it seems to be working as intended now. We'll keep an eye out for it in future tents we install, hopefully it doesn't persist.

-Josh

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm trying to picture the set screws you guys are referring too. Can anyone post a picture?

HuskerJeep

Adventurer
How old is the tent? When I bought mine in July it came with the old style ladder that they had had problems with. They sent me the new style for no charge soon after. I'd just call them to discuss it and I'm sure like me and many others experience with them, they will make it right.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
How old is the tent? When I bought mine in July it came with the old style ladder that they had had problems with. They sent me the new style for no charge soon after. I'd just call them to discuss it and I'm sure like me and many others experience with them, they will make it right.

Just a 6 weeks or so. I'm sure if I called Evan he would have taken care of it, but it was much easier to take the 20 minutes and fix it.

-Josh

Wicked 2007

Observer
any pics of the old style ladder and the new? I am trying to see which category mine falls into before there is an incident. Also curious more details on the "fixes"

Thanks!

Hitch Fire

Supporting Sponsor
any pics of the old style ladder and the new? I am trying to see which category mine falls into before there is an incident. Also curious more details on the "fixes"

Thanks!

Tepui Tents chiming in here. Yes we unfortunately tried a new ladder that had raised ridges on the side rails that had some issues with the telescoping tubes twisting out of alignment and the pins not fully locking out. There were very few of these that went to market before we realized the problem and have made a many efforts to contact all customers affected and send out the replacement ladder. If the ladder has smooth side rails it should be just fine only the ones with the raised ridges on the side rails were an issue. Please contact us if you need a replacement and we'll get one right out to you.

Thanks,
Evan
Tepui Tents
www.TepuiTents.com
1-800-301-9874

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior