1994 Chevrolet K5 Blazer. Trans issue

SixLug

Explorer
Im having an issue with the 4L60E in my rig. Just ran across the problem.

In OD, no issues. Shifts from first to fourth just fine.
In D, no issues. Shifts from first to third just fine.
In 2nd, won't really move. Just revs, but slightly feels like its being held back.
In 1st, will move a little better, but feels like its being held back worse.

Now, when I was testing this in 1 and 2, I stopped pretty quickly once I confirmed the issue bc I didn't want to burn anything up.

I just don't understand why it will work fine through all gears in OD and D, but not rally at all in 1 and 2.

Like I said, all stock 94 Blazer, 350 TBI, 4L60E, blah blah, 165000 on the clock.

Thanks for any input.

SixLug

Explorer
No one?

I called a trusted trans guy but he said just drive it til it dies. Said something about the sprag.

Talked to another guy about building me one and he seemed pretty knowledgeable, but said he wasn't 100% sure since it shifts well in D and OD. Shifts into second nice and firm when in those two settings. Even slowing down with low RPM and the trans picking second, it pulls just fine.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
sometimes the transfer case can give you problems that make you think its the transmission

look there first thats about all I can say without seeing it

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Could it possibly be a problem with the shift linkage since it works in D and OD? Maybe there is an adjustment down by the transmission you could play with.... Give it a try.. Cheers, Chili..:)

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
No adjustment on that issue can be done. It's more likely internal to the trans. The best bet is to have a local shop check it out. Ask around so you know you are talking to an outfit that has a good reputation. I know dealers take a bad rap for being expensive, but they know those better than most. I run a Chevy service dept so I hear the dealers are expensive argument ALL the time. I'd put my transmission tech up against any in the biz. I'd ask for a diagnosis only and a written estimate of what the suggested repairs would cost. We went through a similar issue on a 97 Tahoe where we made the suggestion to go through it rather than sell a reman GM trans for more. My tech made some alterations to the build for durability and towing performance. No "shift kit" required just 30 years of experience to know what changes to make. The bottom line here is yes dealers usually are more expensive, but you should be getting a better job done. I say that knowing not all dealers or repair facilities are created equal. Check them out first.

SixLug

Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys. I can afford to get a new trans, but I will be doing the remove and install myself. That said, the fact that it drives fine in D and OD makes me want to just drive it until it fails. I don't take it too far from the house, I have another car, and I can get it towed for free should it not make it home but it really seems fine outside of 1 or 2. Ha. I know this sounds stupid...just fix it right?

Thanks everyone. When I find out the exact issue I will post it up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94