Minimum height for rack on trailer with RTT and room?

DrtTrac

Hey guys,
Now that my frame is built, I am starting on the sides and at each corner going with DOM tubing to create an extendable rack for my RTT (not purchased yet). My sides will be only 24" tall with the rack sitting at 30" in the full down position. My deck is at 29" which puts me at 59" total when my RTT is again is the full down position. From my research I believe I need to be at 78" minimum extended for the 'changing room' to be attached and stake properly into the ground.

For those with an RTT and room attachment, does this sound about right?

And to those builders, do you think 5" left of the tube when it's pinned at extended height is stable enough? I can always make my tubing corners taller than the sides, but I've always had it in my head that 6" above the sides is a good travel height to prevent a lot of wind drag.

Thanks.

trailer deck.jpg

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
If I recall correctly mine is 6' 6" or 6' 8" to the rack that holds the tent. (78-80") It changed after I swapped to a smaller tire and I did not re-measure.

I used square tube, I think round tube probably would have been better. Mine sticks a little going up.

318388_10151376877348294_1941026731_n.jpg

534300_10151382664203294_2114026396_n.jpg

ThirstyCamel

If I recall correctly mine is 6' 6" or 6' 8" to the rack that holds the tent. (78-80") It changed after I swapped to a smaller tire and I did not re-measure.

I used square tube, I think round tube probably would have been better. Mine sticks a little going up.

I'm in the proccess of designing an adjustable rack for my M-416 so that I can get my RRT below the slipstream while driving. I'm curious, how do you raise and lower your rack? Did you use slip joints in the corners to prevent binding during raising and lowering?

EDIT: also how did you deal with corrosion; did you paint or powdrcoat the rack surfaces and if so does it cause sticking?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I'm in the proccess of designing an adjustable rack for my M-416 so that I can get my RRT below the slipstream while driving. I'm curious, how do you raise and lower your rack? Did you use slip joints in the corners to prevent binding during raising and lowering?

EDIT: also how did you deal with corrosion; did you paint or powdrcoat the rack surfaces and if so does it cause sticking?

I have 1" square tube that slides into 1 1/4" square tube. I originally painted all the surfaces including the joint, and the paint made it WAY too tight and it stuck badly. I stripped all the paint, and then polished with a soft pad on my grinder. I then did a very light coat of grease. I will see how this works with it stored over the winter as it had not rusted yet when I put it away.

I may change the uprights to 1" Aluminum square bar.

Here is my build thread

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/46374-My-*slow-going*-M416-camping-trailer-build

ThirstyCamel

I have 1" square tube that slides into 1 1/4" square tube. I originally painted all the surfaces including the joint, and the paint made it WAY too tight and it stuck badly. I stripped all the paint, and then polished with a soft pad on my grinder. I then did a very light coat of grease. I will see how this works with it stored over the winter as it had not rusted yet when I put it away.

I may change the uprights to 1" Aluminum square bar.

Here is my build thread

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/46374-My-*slow-going*-M416-camping-trailer-build

I've seen your build thread before and it gave me several ideas; also seen the video before; very nice job.

What stroke length struts did you use and what weigth rating?

rarecj8

Observer
bottom of my bed sits at 57 inches. Bonus is i can unbolts from trailer and mount on the chevy 2500 for those want to leave trailer at home.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I've seen your build thread before and it gave me several ideas; also seen the video before; very nice job.

What stroke length struts did you use and what weigth rating?

The struts I am using right now are 75lb force each.

Edit: Here is the description from McMaster Carr

Gas Spring with Threaded Ends, 75 Force, 26.38" Extended Length, 10.24" Stroke

Part # 9416K21

Last edited:

DrtTrac

Thanks all. Looks like I am on the right track with using round tubing for the corner posts.

How much tubing (square or round) do you estimate is left when in you're extended and pinned? Just worried that only having 5-6" left in the bottom tube isn't enough to keep the tent stable or is this really not a concern?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Thanks all. Looks like I am on the right track with using round tubing for the corner posts.

How much tubing (square or round) do you estimate is left when in you're extended and pinned? Just worried that only having 5-6" left in the bottom tube isn't enough to keep the tent stable or is this really not a concern?

I believe I have over a foot. I'd go measure, but I don't store my trailer at my house in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier