Assistance needed:Looking to convert utility/tool trailer to off-road camping trailer

keltic52

I've been searching the threads and seen tons of builds and conversions of pop up trailers and military trailers. But I really havent seen many for utility/tool trailers. And thought who better to ask for ideas and suggestions.

My goals:
1) replace the axle to match the bolt pattern on my JK (to run 33's or 35's)
2) SOA to gain additional clearance
3) install RTT w/ adjustable posts
4) install 12v system to run the following items
a) water heater/pump
b) utility lights
c) electric blanket (for my fiancee)
d) misc (laptop, phone charger, fridge, etc..)
5) 2 jerry cans for gas
6) 2 jerry cans for water (or install water tank)
7) 10gal propane tank
8) mount hi-lift and shovel on side
9) spare tire

With no garage, no metal working tools, and no welding skills... what am i looking to get into? (been thinking about taking a college welding class)

trailer3.jpgtrailer4.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looking at that trailer I would say you are off to a good start.
Lots of storage, a place for a rtt, and a cool design.
Matching paint, rewire, replace the axle to match, and add the options as you go.

Show us a picture of the inside too.

navigator

Adventurer
agree with Mark, great platform to start with.
Flipping the new axle to SOA won't take a lot of special tools.
If you have the time/opportunity to take a welding class, that couldn't hurt.
it might also be that if you create a good plan of what you want to do and have a guy weld it for you, he can do it cheaper than your class and buying a welder.
I've got an old stick welder and my dad gave me some basic tips/lessons.
I wouldn't weld on a recovery point or a tongue or anything like that yet but I would be comfortable welding a lot of items I need to.

keltic52

OK, just a quick update.

Completed the SOA today, which gave me about another 2" inches of clearance. Unfortunetly, I could not find a store that had the correct U-bolts, so I just reused the hardware until I decide what new axle to order for the trailer.

The picture below shows it with a 33" next to it, so I cold get an idea of what it would look like. (I would need to raise the fenders about 4-6 inches just to be safe.)

Also added 2 jerry cans to the front of the trailer for longer trips.

kswtrailer_soa.jpg

mkitchen

Explorer
some suggestions

You might want to consider lengthening the tongue and switching to a max-hitch or something similar. The build is looking nice and we look forward to seeing the mods as they come along.
Mikey

TheThom

Adventurer
Great start. Subscribed. I agree with the others. It might be worth finding a local welder. If you want to know who's good and reasonable ask some local mechanics or the guys at the local hardware/metal store.

Most of what you want to do, won't need welding. Just figure out everything you need and price it out.

Good luck!

keltic52

Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions, and encouragement.

What is the recommended length for the tongue? And with it extended, how will this change my weight displacement in the trailer? (more over the axles than the tongue? etc... )

I'll get some pics of the inside later this week. I've been trying to decide how I want to mount a RTT; and I think I may be sold on the idea of installing adjustable supports in all four corners to lift the tent higher. (just need to find a place or way to make spring assisted posts with locking mechanisms...)

Again, thank you all for the feedback, suggestion, and encouragement.

rarecj8

Observer
i tried that sort of tool trailer some years back but found the trailer plus gear was WAY too heavy to easily tow/drag on the trails. Good luck!

keltic52

i tried that sort of tool trailer some years back but found the trailer plus gear was WAY too heavy to easily tow/drag on the trails. Good luck!

Rarecj8,

Thanks for the heads up; hopefully I wont have the same problems.

What type of gear did you have in the trailer?

keltic52

man that's a great trailer to start with!!! You thinking about going with a RTT?

Absolutely!

Need to get the new axle, move the fenders, and then tinker with how I want to mount an RTT. (mount directly to the top, or create an adjustable platform to raise the RTT up when in use)

rarecj8

Observer
well it was heavy to start with. plan was to have all gear stowed away in the side compartments. plus spare tools, etc then once ready to leave, gas/groceries/ice and it was really heavy. But, tents, cook gear, lanterns, 20lb propane, chairs, etc etc-- it all adds up fast. i was in love w/ the concept but when struggling to tow it into a remote area and resorted to winch for an easy obstacle, that was enough.

here is the latest iteration-- gear goes in tub or back of jeep-- its a scrambler w/ more room.
37s on 8 lug H2 wheels to match jeep.

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

keltic52

well it was heavy to start with. plan was to have all gear stowed away in the side compartments. plus spare tools, etc then once ready to leave, gas/groceries/ice and it was really heavy. But, tents, cook gear, lanterns, 20lb propane, chairs, etc etc-- it all adds up fast. i was in love w/ the concept but when struggling to tow it into a remote area and resorted to winch for an easy obstacle, that was enough.

here is the latest iteration-- gear goes in tub or back of jeep-- its a scrambler w/ more room.
37s on 8 lug H2 wheels to match jeep.

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

Looks Awesome!!

Thanks again for the words of advice. And it sounds like you were doing exactly what I was invisioning in my head. Leave the gear in the trailer and be able to pull away for a weekend trip at a moments notice (minus the food and misc stuff.... ice, fiancee, dogs, etc... LOL)

keltic52

Some additional pictures of the trailer showing the side storage and main storage areas... will end up ripping out the carpet and probably rhino line the interior.

trailer inside.jpgtrailer w storage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior