Stock Differential Cover Replacements

sisu

Adventurer
I have a 2006 5.9 2500 4x4 Dodge Truck that needs to differential lube change. I was very surprised to see that there's no drain on the front or rear like my Toyota. Therefore I'm going to replace them. Any opinions on the Mag-Hytec or the PLM covers? I don't have an opinion one way or the other except reading about the Mag-Hytec it seems to get geared for the person doing a lot of towing as the lube capacity increases by two for the rear. Does this seem extreme for a person that only hauls a 1994 Northern Lite camper 24/7 and tows an occasional 20-22 foot aluminum salt water boat that weights less then 5K?

The front differential I am leaning toward PLM as it seems to have less issues with clearance.

Thank you waiting for replys. :elkgrin:

Last edited:

xpndbl3

Adventurer
Ruffstuff makes some killer strong covers if you were interested in more protection from rocks hitting it. Otherwise more capacity in the rear can't be a bad thing when towing. Or using quality gear lube and changing it out regularly.

Fordmedic

I have a 2006 5.9 2500 4x4 Dodge Truck that needs to differentia
l lube change. I was very surprised to see that there's no drain on the front or rear like my Toyota. Therefore I'm going to replace them. Any opinions on the Mag-Hytec or the PLM covers? I don't have an opinion one way or the other except reading about the Mag-Hytec it seems to get geared for the person doing a lot of towing as the lube capacity increases by two for the rear. Does this seem extreme for a person that only hauls a 1994 Northern Lite camper 24/7 and tows an occasional 20-22 foot aluminum salt water boat that weights less then 5K?

The front differential I am leaning toward PLM as it seems to have less issues with clearance.

Thank you waiting for replys. :elkgrin:

Mag for sure. They are bulletproof. Who cares if you don't haul a lot. The extra capacity of oil will only help you keep that barber colder. You can drag your balls on any rock you want and that hytec cover will just slide right on over. Great purchase.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've had Mags on my last two Dodges. Absolutely no issues and the dipstick/drain features are really handy.
I drained my factory fill fluid @ 9K and it was jet black and reeked. Replaced w/Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90. 38K on this fluid and it's still honey colored.

sisu

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input. Ya I will pull the trigger on the Mag-Hytecs they are only a few dollars more than PLM and have details that I like: O-ring gasket, dip stick, extra capacity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles