Dodge Cummins 12v or Nissan Patrol TD42

yukon72

I am trying to decide on a new truck to use touring in the bush and also probably a daily driver. Debating between the 2 I know they are 2 different beasts. I want reliability and fixbility in the bush. I have 2 kids and the old Dodge club cabs have crap for extra seating. I do a lot of camping and have debated a camper so if I go with the Nissan that will be out, but a Roof Top Tent looks intriguing. With the Nissan I will have to tow a trailer more often for getting lumber, hauling firewood and such. But I have used trailers for years.
I also want fuel economy and sounds like Nissan may be just a bit better. Running on Veggie Oil sounds like a future option. I know I will probably want to put a Turbo on the Nissan

Anyone have experience with both of these trucks? I have no experience with Diesel. In the past have owned Ford Ranger, Bronco 2 and Explorer- fun trucks but not built very strong and I dont like things like fuel pumps inside gas tanks and all the computer bs/sensors. The Bronco 2 was fun in the bush but had very little extra room or carrying capacity- it did not like to carry a canoe, and moose in the back...

thnks

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How do you get a Nissan Patrol into the USA? Or are you referring to the Infinity QX56 rebadged truck?

Look at his location... Patrols are allowed in Canada.

That said, I would go with the Dodge since you mention campers and firewood. Roof top tents are not super fun in the northwest of our country. At least not for more than a month or two per year.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
I like my old 91 dodge, I love that its diesel. Its true that they are tanks, but there is so much to update and refresh on them, it can be daunting, either spend alot of money up front, or put up and slowly fix it to your liking. If you get a Dodge diesel, get a MANUAL trans. If you get a Dodge diesel, get a MANUAL trans. If you get a Dodge diesel, get a MANUAL trans. Do I really have to say it again? Its close to the ultimate bug out vehicle for simplicity, ruggedness and reliability especially when had without the auto trans, which get a bad rap due in large part to the external controls that need to be tuned right. But there is also a learning curve if you have no diesel experience. With either choice, just pony up for some Service manuals and start reading. There is a alot of info for the dodges. Also, the 89-93 cummins with Bosch VE rotary injection pumps are tolerant of waste veggie oil.

The 8' box on my truck is huge, you can carry alot of stuff in it. Many parts are also very cheap for these trucks now that they are older such as brakes, shocks, bearings.

Rot Box

Explorer
That said, I would go with the Dodge since you mention campers and firewood. Roof top tents are not super fun in the northwest of our country. At least not for more than a month or two per year.

Agreed 100%. When you need a truck--you NEED a truck. Passenger space is limited but everything else in the package makes sense to me :coffee:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Locations aren't shown in this Forum's Mobile format

Who knew?

More thoughts for op... Just re-read your first post... Bush fix-ability? Good luck finding Patrol parts in small town Yukon, BC or NWT. And MOOSE? Starting to really sound Dodgey now. 1st gen Dodges (89-93) are great, but VERY basic. 2nd gen (94-02) are a whole lot more civilized. The early 98 with P7100 pumped 12 valve engine, 5 speed and first of the quad cabs is the holy grail of Dodge for a lot of people. It is the best of all worlds.

Last edited:
I love the 12 valve Dodges, You can't go wrong with any year of the 12 valves. I personally think the 89-93 are fun to drive. I prefer my trucks to feel like a truck rather than a car.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I prefer my trucks to feel like a truck rather than a car.

Which is why you drive an '05 GMC? Probably THE most car-like truck ever built! :elkgrin:

That said, I agree a 5 speed 1st gen is a hoot to drive. But I wouldn't want to have it as my only vehicle. I could not imagine doing the 4500 mile trip I did this fall in a 1st gen being very comfortable.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Which is why you drive an '05 GMC? Probably THE most car-like truck ever built! :elkgrin:

That said, I agree a 5 speed 1st gen is a hoot to drive. But I wouldn't want to have it as my only vehicle. I could not imagine doing the 4500 mile trip I did this fall in a 1st gen being very comfortable.

It isn't so bad. I have done a few long trips in my 1st gen 5 spd truck and I didn't mind it too much. I even drove it from AZ to AL a time or two with the front end riding on the bumpstops.

Athabasca

Observer
I am in the Yukon also and had to decide between the LC60/80 diesel or a domestic diesel suv/truck.

I ended up with a Ford 99 SD CC SB with a 0 time 7.3 and transmission. I payed alot but getting parts up here for anything hard let alone a non domestic product.

Outback imports may be able to source parts for you easily however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94