Which 100 would you choose?

scmbmw

Hello everyone, new guy here with a question. I have decided to get a 100 and I have never owned one. I'm looking at two and could use some opinions on which is a better deal.

The first is a 2000 with 177k for $9,500. It looks pretty clean minus a few dings in the body. Interior is clean.

The second is a 2003 with 139k for $17,500. This one looks pretty much perfect.

I've done a lot of reading and I am aware of all the difference between the two. I'm more interested in knowing if you guys think $8k is worth it for the newer one with fewer miles, 5spd trans, etc.

We are planning to head south of the border the end of next year, until then it will serve as a DD.

Should I be holding out for one with even fewer miles?

Thanks for all the input.

wesel123

Explorer
Oui...that's a lot of cash left on the table for mods. I'd say the lower priced 2000 assuming its properly maintained. 150K on my 99 and it has yet to let me down. It's not very often that I see a need for the extra gear, I cruise at 75 all day long in the mid 2K rpm range.

mph

Expedition Leader
Between the 2...The 2000...However, I think if you looked around a little more, you could find one with that mileage that has some goodies already on it. Like the link mentioned...

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Both will have pros/cons. Does the 2000 have the factory nav? 2003 probably does. I hate how the nav is integrated with the climate control. 5-speed transmission on the '03+ is sweet... closer gearing makes a difference. '03 probably has the 18" wheels... I prefer the 16" due to the fatter sidewalls for off-road use. This isn't to say 18" is bad for wheeling... I know several guys that run 18's off-road with no issues. I can go on and on... I love my '02. :)

scmbmw

Thanks for all the input.

I'm looking into the service history for both of them. I think the 2000 is probably a better deal, and will definitely leave me some money to go through it and maybe do some upgrades.

I'm not stuck on either of them, they just happen to be located near me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles