Uniden Android 7" tablet, $60, good deal?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Local Big Lots is having a sale on Uniden Android tablets, price is low enough to tempt me at $60 even though I've never really had much interest in a tablet before.

Dumb question from someone who's never used a tablet and doesn't own a smartphone: Do these things typically have a GPS unit built into the hardware? I understand that they can often get "location data" from cell towers or WiFi signals, but obviously that's of no use outside built up areas, and I'm looking for something that can be used for mapping while off road.

From the limited info available, this does not seem to be a 3g or 4g, that is, it doesn't have any cell phone capability (not that I would want it to) but it does have Wifi. Again, I just don't know enough about tablets to know whether it has true GPS hardware (that is, something that can actully track satellites and determine position from that) is normally included in tablet hardware or whether they rely on apps that can access the internet or cell signals to determine locations.

Finlay

Triarius
There is no bluetooth and no GPS on this. It's a decent deal for a small tablet to surf or play movies, whatever, but without a GPS, using it to navigate is out of the question.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the Big Lots web page for this item
http://www.biglots.com/p/c/as-advertised/uniden-7-android-40-internet-tablet

and here's the discussion about the tablet on the Slickdeals web site
http://slickdeals.net/f/5524282-Uni...B-up-to-32GB-mSD-Front-Camera-59-Big-Lots-B-M

Big Lots generallly has a 30 day return period for purchases. Best to check if this applies to the discounted tablet.

Here's one customer's comment
"The tablets come in white or black. I was able to install Google Play on them and they do pretty good at running the apps. The amazon app store is already loaded on it. Load time is good and videos play fine. For some reason I cannot get Netflix or Hulu to play video but videos look good via YouTube. Games like angry birds play great with no lag. Capacitative screen is good. These tablets are the same as the Polaroid tablets only branded Uniden via Southern Telecom. Only con I've noticed so far is there is only one speaker on the back and it's not too loud. If you we're to put this in a case, the speaker would be completely covered..."

And here's a Youtube video showing the tablet in action

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hmmm...not good for nav but might make for a nice "travel" computer for checking email and such (vs my $300 netbook.) At $60 it's tempting, but I'll probably wait until the after-Xmas sales.

I do think a touch screen is easier to use in a vehicle than a touch pad like on my netbook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne