new honda bike

gromit

Bad Buddhist
Hello, John

I'd like it a lot better with spoked wheels and a 21" on the front. For the uses of most folks it will be a very serviceable small "adventure-tourer" with typical Honda reliability (hopefully). For dirt/gravel roads it's more than sufficent. I'm curious as to price...If it's more than 3 used KLRs or 2 used F650s....

Oh and that's the other thing... BIG aftermarket for the KLR, F650 and variants, Wee Stroms, etc. You would be buying this without much non-factory support. No problem if it takes off...

Best
Rick

EDIT: Full disclosure...I ride a 2001 F650GS Dakar... If you want a bike that's supported by a big group of enthusiasts check out http://f650.com/forum/forum.php I'm gromit over there too...

AFSOC

Explorer
I think it would be a great beginners machine. A 500 twin with an upright riding position sounds great. I have had an eye out for a descent Kawasaki 500 Ninja for my wife to start riding because it's a simple easy to handle twin (smoother than a thumper). I think I like the Honda 500 better. As it is, it may not be a ADV super hero but we shouldn't forget why we enjoy riding in the first place and that every bike in the garage is like a tool in the toolbox.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I think the "adventure" description is more marketing and aesthetics. It is essentially a street bike like the other new Honda 500s. (for reference, the new wee has over an inch more travel and it is a very street biased dual sport) But while it seems to lack any serious dual sport abilities, it does have the advantages of comfortable ergos. I would just be hesitant to think it will handle dirt better than any similar street bike. If it was me, I think I would be more inclined to get their naked 500, but I'm sure some prefer the offroad look.

samsonjohn

gearing

beside the fact its the same motor as the other two 500's. if it was more geared toward "adventure" riding should it not have been geared different then the other two street bikes?

i am not to worried about top speed. but my thought is it should have been geared different then a street bike.

food for thought reviews of the bike says 102 top speed for the 500's while the new ninja 300 is saying 105 with random people of 115

am i missing something here?

AFSOC

Explorer
am i missing something here?

I think so. I think you're missing the fact that a 300 or 500cc bike isn't the best tool in the shed if "Top Speed" is your thrill of choice. I've always found gearing to be adjustable by sprocket replacement. I doubt Big Red intended this to be an out of the box RTW machine. I assume they intended it to be an entry level bike and IMHO it shows promise as such. It is a compromise as any other bike is a compromise.

gromit

Bad Buddhist
beside the fact its the same motor as the other two 500's. if it was more geared toward "adventure" riding should it not have been geared different then the other two street bikes?

i am not to worried about top speed. but my thought is it should have been geared different then a street bike.

The nice thing about a chain drive is that you *can* (within reason) gear it however you want. The folks at Honda know that a lot more folks have seen Long Way Round than will ever ride it, hence they will build the bike to be a commuter with ADV styling. Throw a few bucks at it and you can tour on it. A LOT of world tours have been done on bikes that are less likely to make it...

What do you *really* want to do with the bike?

AFSOC

Explorer
What do you *really* want to do with the bike?

Sooooo true. What we really do with our bikes are sometimes a long way from what we dream of doing with our bikes. example: my farkled up Alaska to Ushuaia "capable" daily commuter. For what I really use it for, I could easily replace it with a Ruckus.

gromit

Bad Buddhist
Sooooo true. What we really do with our bikes are sometimes a long way from what we dream of doing with our bikes. example: my farkled up Alaska to Ushuaia "capable" daily commuter. For what I really use it for, I could easily replace it with a Ruckus.

So true. I've had the TransAmerica Trail on my radar for the last several years. Despite two big loops of the USA and a minor foray into the Canadian Maritimes, I've yet to even start that project... I still look totally ************ riding through the hood on my Dakar, though... :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles