M/T or A/T - the long winded debate

Lord Vader

They carry them in 235/75R15 for sure as that is what my truck takes. I could have sworn the last time I looked they had 215's. check out Discount Tire Direct for a list of sizes. Or give Fountain Tire a call as they are the main supplier of Goodyear tires in Canada.

Chris2000XJ

I don't think you need MT's for "overlanding" but there are situations where they outshine AT's. Deep snow at single digit tire pressures for instance.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The BFG AT's are one of my favorite tires. They suck in gooey mud. If your in really nasty conditions you can slap some V-bar mud rated tire chains on and claw your way across the farm or log road in a way that the BFG KM2's can only dream about. So for general purpose camping and travel I use AT's and keep 2 sets of tire chains in my bed just like we use for work in the field.

The BFG KM2's are great in any of the other months without snow. And get good mileage as well. You'll need a winter set of wheels/tires if you're serious about mud tires.

Cooper STT's ans Toyo MT are some of the better mud tires for snow conditions. Duratracs are a soft compound agressive At tire that's pretty darn good, but rarely come in the sizes and E ratings I choose.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Given your tire size, Go with an AT. I put some Yokohama Geolander AT/S on my CRV. (205/70/15 IIRC) Great tire for the money in that size.

You're just wasting money on anything MT. I went through quite a bit of a clay mud filled fire road. I only got stuck in the CRV when I stopped having enough clearance on part of the road that somebody decided to make some rut canyons on. Had I the clearance, I'd have been fine.

I have MT's (not BFG) on my Jeep, because they were stupid cheap compared to the BFG A/T's I want to run, and it's a Jeep, I don't daily it, and when I do drive it, it's usually to a trail/camping/lake somewhere offroad where I know I'll put it to use if needed and not be worried.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I checked and duratrac's smallest 15" size is 235/75R15. That tire sounds like the best of both worlds but I'll still be happy setlling for the BFG A/T's.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I have run both MT and AT tires. The tire I prefer above all others is the BFG AT. It is a snow rated tire with the snow flake on the sidewall. An earlier comment was they packed with snow and lost traction. A snow tire is supposed to pack with snow and then the snow in the tire actually sticks to the snow on the road surface. This increases the tires traction. I ran both MT and AT tires on a Jeep Cherokee that I owned, and the only places I noticed a difference were in the life of the tire (MT much shorter by almost 20K miles), rock crawling traction (MT were slightly better solved that with a locker), and road noise (MT were louder).

To give you an idea of the road noise from a MT, I was given an '86 Diesel Blazer. It has new MT tires on it, and I can hear the hum of the tires quite noticeably above that of the old diesel engine. This noise is at all speeds. I can't wait for them to wear out so I can get some AT tires for it.

ntan

Adventurer
Huge fan of the Duratracs. I have them on my '91 RRC Hunter in 215/85R16 and will be getting the exact same tires for my '81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior