Ranger - Bronco OR build current truck, opinions or advice???

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I have a 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II (manual trans and manual transfer case) with 4.0 engine. Towing and stopping are not its strong points. Especially stopping. (to be somewhat expected with discs and drums that fit under the factory 15" rims that mine has). Short wheelbase rigs (like a Bronco) aren't so fun either when you're towing a lot of weight. I used to tow a pop up camp trailer (4500lbs loaded) along with four people in my 2007 FJ Cruiser and it wasn't the most fun thing I've done when the roads got twisty, windy, rutted, or I needed to stop in any quick fashion. Big long trucks rule for towing.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I have a 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II (manual trans and manual transfer case) with 4.0 engine. Towing and stopping are not its strong points. Especially stopping. (to be somewhat expected with discs and drums that fit under the factory 15" rims that mine has). Short wheelbase rigs (like a Bronco) aren't so fun either when you're towing a lot of weight. I used to tow a pop up camp trailer (4500lbs loaded) along with four people in my 2007 FJ Cruiser and it wasn't the most fun thing I've done when the roads got twisty, windy, rutted, or I needed to stop in any quick fashion. Big long trucks rule for towing.

[HIJACK]

You can easily put disk brakes on the rear. Check out my build thread.

[/HIJACK]

Allof75

Pathfinder
I suggest keeping the truck for towing, as the options you listed simply won't be able to match the towing ability of the 250. The Bronco is a decent choice, I have a friend with 2, one of which has crossed 250k miles recently, but I would not suggest them for towing. The wheelbase is what kills them, and the 351 is a decent, but not especially powerful towing motor.

Also, if you're looking at the Bronco as a wheeler, have you considered that they're roughly the same width as your truck? I'm not sure how this pertains in your area, as I've only spent a week in BC with a little time on a couple logging trails to get to my hike on the WCT (another story for another time), but at least down here, width can be a big factor in trail performance. Most of our trails are designed for jeeps so Broncos and other Full-sizers usually don't make it out without the trail leaving its mark.

As others have said, I suggest just keeping the 250 and using it for exploration in tandem with your toys. Then once the D is over, you can look into something for the smaller trails. It sounds like you're a Ford man, so maybe take a look at the Bronco II? It's basically an enclosed ranger, super cheap, decent mpg, and could be made pretty capable with the right mods. Or you can explore the thousands of other options, either domestic (jeeps, blazers, etc.) or import (pathfinders, Monteros, Troopers). This site will definitely give you some ideas, and guide you in the right direction.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Then once the D is over, you can look into something for the smaller trails. It sounds like you're a Ford man, so maybe take a look at the Bronco II? It's basically an enclosed ranger, super cheap, decent mpg, and could be made pretty capable with the right mods.

I'll 2nd that :D

shauniscndn

Adventurer
An Early Bronco for towing??? Not looking for a trail truck had those and too expensive to DD as well.. since its smaller than a fullsize Bronco my guess is that it would be worse for towing as many have said the fullsize isn't that great for towing

Colorado75bronc

You could always stretch the frame and body, a lot of work but then you could set it up to do everything, there's a couple 4 door early broncos out there that look nice, couple that, some full width one ton axles, and a 4bt or 6bt cummins and you'd have one awesome expeditionary vehicle that'd be about unstoppable and with the wheelbase being 110-120"s or more on a four door bronco it would tow fine

Last edited:

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Well I've actually decided to keep and build my current 88 F250. May even have a donor truck that was on the way to the wrecker with a lift,wheels and D60 front as well.

Thanks for the advice guy & gals

Shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles