Pepe` Our Little Mule

James Pierce

Adventurer
It's Thanksgiving. The plan was to headed to Arkansas for 4 days of camping after dinner but I'm stuck at home sick. The head cold I've had since Sunday replaced the rich flavors of Thanksgiving dinner with a bland array of tastes ranging from sawdust stuffing to tofu turkey. I could have been eating Daisy's dog food for all the pleasure it gave me. With this unexpected time on my hands it seems perfect to begin the tale of Pepe` Our Little Mule.

Pepe` came to live with us in May of this year. I found him on a local Jeep forum. He was in pretty rough shape but the price was too good to pass up. I had been looking for a trailer project for a few months and this one fit the bill. Most of the rust resides in areas that I plan to modify so they will be cut out and replaced anyway. I've always liked the utilitarian look of the M101 CDN. I wish I would have been in the market when they were being decommission from the Canadian Military so I could have picked up a nicer one.

When I began looking for a trailer I started researching the forums for others who have them and found many good threads. I appreciate those who have taken the time to document and share their experience with the 101 and have enjoyed learning from them. My goals are not too different from theirs but my methods may be. It is hard to anticipate our needs and I realize as we begin using the trailer we will have a better understanding of what we really want.

Goals:

Be rugged while keeping the wight as low as possible
Have the ability to transverse rough terrain
Keep center of gravity as low as possible
Rack for our Eezi Awn
Water and fuel storage
Secure / lockable lid
Firewood storage
Pull out kitchen
On board propane
House batteries
Full size tires and spare to match Brandy's JK

When we got him home:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Last edited:

James Pierce

Adventurer
While I'm stuck inside I will try to bring you up to date. I promise there will be lots of pics.

First order of business was to flip Pepe over to refurbish the suspension.

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

For some reason a previous owner had switched out one of the backing plates. It has a hole for a wheel cylinder otherwise it is identical to the correct one on the other side.

IMG_0676.jpg

James Pierce

Adventurer
Brakes have seen little use.

IMG_0678.jpg

Incorrect backing plate will have to be "fixed".

IMG_0681.jpg

Lots of PB Blaster.

IMG_0682.jpg

No amount of PB Blaster was getting this one off.

IMG_0684.jpg

Removing the spring bushings.

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Bent landing gear will have to be repaired.

IMG_0673.jpg

James Pierce

Adventurer
Correcting the incorrect backing plate.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Springs were disassembled sandblasted and then coated with POR 15 and Chassis Coat.

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

New "correct" bushings were sourced from Zenith Spring Co. and pressed in.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

James Pierce

Adventurer
Brandy is becoming really proficient at running the blast cabinet.

IMG_0714.jpg

Axel stripped and ready for POR 15.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Pressing the bushings into the spring hangers.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

New spring hardware.

IMG_0725.jpg

Axle and springs being assembled.

IMG_0726.jpg

James Pierce

Adventurer
Brandy earning her keep.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

I picked up some new 10" hubs with 5 on 5" pattern to match the JK so I could run the same tires and wheels. New wheel bearings and shocks go on too.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

Completed Suspension.

IMG_0738.jpg

Back Over.

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

New fenders will make the short list.

IMG_0749.jpg

uk trailer guy

Observer
This is great to see. Talking as a saddo trailer type, I know that if your attention to detail runs this far to the running gear, which is the important bit but no one ever sees, then I can't wait to see how the rest of this build looks.

PS. Nice workshop :)

James Pierce

Adventurer
I had a local sheet metal shop brake up the lid.

IMG_0758.jpg

Then I welded in the ends. I chose not to grind down the weld rather leave them exposed to match the utilitarian look of the trailer. None of the welds on the corners of the trailer are ground down so a spit polished lid would look out of place.

IMG_0759.jpg

I wanted the lid to mimic the top of the trailer so I skip welded 1 1/4" tube steel around the bottom to match the top of the trailer.

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

I began working on a rack to support the tent. I was shooting for something that would resemble the Safety Devices rack found on the Defenders.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Last edited:

James Pierce

Adventurer
This is great to see. Talking as a saddo trailer type, I know that if your attention to detail runs this far to the running gear, which is the important bit but no one ever sees, then I can't wait to see how the rest of this build looks.

PS. Nice workshop :)

Thanks, I'm sure this comes as no surprise but I've been called anal ;) I am blessed with a small corner of my business where I get to unwind.

Last edited:

James Pierce

Adventurer
In an effort to duplicate the look of a Safety Devices rack I made some tube clamps identical to those used in their cages.

First I stamped out some flat bar stock and traced the template to it.

IMG_0477.jpg

I then drilled the holes and used a jig I made in my tube notcher to cope the plates.

IMG_0482.jpg

I stamped out the mating clamp and welded weld nuts to them. A step Safety Devices omits but eases the installation.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior