Hauling A Motorcycle With A Truck Camper

Motafinga

Adventurer
Thats what it IS designed for :)

Just do not have the moto together just yet.

Here is a photo early on to get things fitted correctly.

It will haul a little CT90. Resto-modded, with either a 125CC or 140CC swap.

chassis333.jpg

Awesome

Munchmeister

Observer
Some info about this topic from a hitch mfg:

http://www.curtmfg.com/page/towing101_ch3

I'm looking at TC's as well as trucks and want to take a small Honda CRF250L without resorting to a trailer, but still want to get into the danged TC camper without having to unload the bike. Looking at a Capri Camper, which has the door located to the far, driver's side, which might-- might-- make it a little easier to squeeze in while the bike is loaded
maverick-short-bed-truck.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks.

Yes, the side entrance affords all kinds of benefits :)

Here are a few shots from the most recent trip.

Spent a good week and a half in central oregon.

Rack worked out fantastic.

Lightweight, and super easy to operate.

Bikes up high adds a pretty good level of theft security as well.

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg
Bingo! Great idea

Do you have anysort of gas strut/helper on it? Or just a super strong wife that hefts the rack into place? ;-) I like it!!!!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its a very simple one-handed operation, no helper needed.

All it uses is a small ratcheting boat winch and some steel cable.

You can see it in one of the other photos, the one with the stripped down CT90 loaded onto it.

ricardo

Observer
Done it but couldn't access the camper door. Not ideal but better than hauling a trailer for this specific trip.

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

I used lots of tiedowns and it turned out to be more stable than without the camper because i could secure the bike to camper jacks.

Okay I may not know much about cars, but I do know about motorcycles, mostly ride them (half a million miles at least in the last 25 years, many, many in the dirt) but a few times I had to transport them too (wife, dogs, moving to a new city)

IMG_3707-XL.jpg

First of all triangulation is KEY, you want to keep the tie down attachment points as far apart as possible (and EVEN, not some right under the bike and other two feet away), again Triangles are the most stable, efficient..

Also remember that if you tie the wheel to the platform (truck somehow like in your case) is going to be totally rigid with out any cushion for shock absorption (and believe me the bike is going to move and move around) plus the tiedown is mount much to low and diagonally (no load advantage)

On the other hand when you connect to the handlebar/triple clamp/tank (any place where the suspension can be compresed) you can used part of the compression/springiness of the forks (more the forks than the rear shock) to your advantage to make the tiedown work their best and compress a % of the forks)
IMG_3710-XL.jpg

You can find millions of pictures of correctly tiedown bikes to platforms, racks, single rails, this just happen to be mine.

Steve Fleming

-Hauling-A-Motorcycle-With-A-Truckcamper

Pick one up in the east cost but 3300 miles later. No problems. Make sore you rap the frount and rear tire I used 6 tie downs 4 on. The bars 2 forward two rear :costumed-smiley-007:Wow1::bike_rider: :smiley_drive:image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 148

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thanks.

Yes, the side entrance affords all kinds of benefits :)

Here are a few shots from the most recent trip.

Spent a good week and a half in central oregon.

Rack worked out fantastic.

Lightweight, and super easy to operate.

Bikes up high adds a pretty good level of theft security as well.

IMG_3015.jpg

Setup in action, working as intended :)

ct90rack.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Its already got a 125CC swap.
Its twice the motor the stock 90CC was.

Still running the motor in, but its already proven enough for 50MPH w/ two people.

Once broken in, Ill be addressing the carb and jetting, to squeeze a bit more power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles