Tire chains?

bfdiesel

Explorer
Chains have their place and airing down is only good for but so much. If there is a better idea that costs as little as chains to add traction we would use it, but in the last 100 years its been chains so...

Traction adders should never replace knowing when to get off the road.

Seems like tire pressure doesn't solve this problem near as well as chains, especially with light weight and the "snow" is icy

I didn't see much tire flex on any of those trucks. In situations like that I've seen really light buggies remove the valve cores and do great. With bead locks they should have only been at 1-3 psi. If they had've been that low you would have seen the sidewalls wrinkling and creasing under acceleration. Chains would have made it easy work as well.

bfdiesel

Explorer
You need about 1-2 inches of clearance around the wheels at full travel and steering lock to keep from tearing parts off with the chains properly mounted and tied.

bruzer1123

Observer
Thanks for the info. I have used chains on pick-ups at work, but they have had plenty of clearance. Not so sure with the Xterra. I guess I will need to take some measurements.

sargeek

Adventurer
Chains are cheap insurance to have in a vehicle. As a Colorado native, I have had a least one set of chains foe every 4x4 I have owned. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have them. The advantage of tire chains is the change of driving style. Without chains you tend use speed and momentum to get through the tough areas. You need to be prepared to drift a bit to the left or right. With chains on you can usually drive slower and maintain better vehicle control. This is nice when you are in situations with grave situations. It similar to the difference between getting a 2x4 through a tough section of road compared to a 4x4. Chains also let your vehicle do more work. If you have to winch, pull, drag items then chains are stellar. On average, I have used Roy chains on road about one every 6 years or so, but it is nice to know they are in the truck in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles