Tire chains?

Can some one give me the rundown on tire chains? I've never used them, but I'm moving to Colorado and I think some roads you have to have them on your vehicle. What's a good brand? How do you put them on etc.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Chains suck. You would be much better off running studded snow tires in the winter and switching them out come spring. Any good tire store should be able to sell you chains and show you how to put them on. The thing I hate most about chains is usually you get cold and wet putting them on and taking them off.:)

keezer37

Explorer
4WD, studs. Some places it don't matter, it's chains or turn around and go home. I carry a set of cables, thankfully I never had to put them on. As the directions go, lay them over the wheels or lay them on the ground and drive forward a bit and hook them up. Make sure you got them on tight. Cold, wet, get back in the truck and blast the heat.

dr350jja

Observer
I think the mandatory chain law on Colorado highways pertains to the tractor-trailer rigs (or other big trucks). Cars and light trucks can get by with snow tires. In my opinion, studded snows are a waste, along the front range (like Denver metro area), cause most winters it hardly even snows much here. The last big blizzard we had was December 2006. I carry tire chains for the rear, but never had to use them here in town, only used them up in the hills off-roading.

jarmentrout

Observer
Yes there are some good chains out there now that are easy to out on, stay tight and ride OK. The rud style are what I have (two sets) and with the rear locked, its a tank.
http://www.tirechains.com/car_chaininstallationinstruction.htm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

motoatvmaniac

I carry a set of cables, thankfully I never had to put them on.

Cable tire chains are pretty worthless, it's why they're so cheap. They break easily. RUD chains are good. If you go to Tire Chains R Us, they sell RUD, and they have how-to videos for how to install them. Tire chains come with instructions, too. Just do a trial run on installing them while you are at home, so that when you really need them, you don't freeze your butt off trying to figure it out.

stioc

Expedition Leader
On the flip side I've had great results using the Security Chain Company (SCC) Z chains which are actually cables and they're so easy to put on a cave man can do it :p besides being much lighter to store. I used them for two seasons then sold them in near new condition after I got a different truck.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As has been mentioned the snow route law is that all commercial and multi-axle vehicle have to carry chains. Depending on conditions CDOT and the state patrol can implement a couple levels of road restrictions. The very most common is that trucks must chain-up. This does not include passenger cars or light trucks most of the time. There are higher levels of closures that can in theory require a car to have actual snow tires, chains, studs, 4x4, etc. But almost without exception they go from commercial chains to road fully closed. FWIW this is usually only interstates and primary roads. Secondary roads in a decent storm it's up to you to be ready, which is why we have chains for our cars.

I have two pairs of chains from tirechain.com. They are a good deal, work fine. I've used the rubber band tensioner and the springs, of the two I like the rubber band better since it does not ice up. I got the medium duty twisted links and they have been a good choice for my little truck.

For her little FWD we have Thule cable chains, the regular ones not the super aggressive ones for ice. These are super easy to put on and have saved our bacon a couple of times. The alternative to these are real snow tires, Blizzaks, etc. We don't have the money for two sets of tires and nowhere to store them, so keeping a set of solid M+S tires on the car and chains if really necessary works fine for us.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
They must do things differently out here in Nevada and California regarding chain controls...because unless you're driving a 4WD/AWD with snows you have to have chains on chain days over the passes or its a no go.

K2ZJ

Explorer
Yup, Dave has it right. I have only once seen where you were required to put chains on cars. I was on my way back from Moab and busted the balance weight off my front driveshaft, so I pulled it. I put it back on in Vail and still made it to Denver in 2wd and BFG M/Ts. They close the highways often enough for a few hours to catch up on plowing.

I mean, Colorado is crazy cold and snowy! Don't move here!

That is my obligatory "I am in now shut the doors!" speech. ;)

thecriscokid

Explorer
photo(54).jpg
I have had the RUD chains for a few years and have used them a dozen times or so. I had a couple initial problems keeping them on. After inspecting the one way self tightening link I found that they can be put on backwards that the directions or pictures in the directions would not show. Super basic instruction pamphlet.
I do check them often when I use them and have been really happy with where they have taken me! I would recommend them
I bought mine from Safari Ltd in Grand Junction, Great Toyota and off road goodie shop. They had them in stock and helped when I had my troubles at first.

A real deal snow tire is your friend for everyday driving in the mountains during the winter. I like the studless technology these days, I have driven many. Coopers, bridgestone, nokians are all good, and my favorite is the yokohama geolander it go72.
IMG_3308.jpg
I'd much rather drive a 2wd anything with good rubber than a old LT tire on a 4wd anyday in the snow. You might not be able to go as far in the 2wd but at least you can stop when you get there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles