Overhead camping light / locator project

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
All,

I have completed another project for my camping armamentaria. I noticed a couple of times this year, I was in need of additional overhead lighting. Since I have the IBS dual battery system, I have plenty of power for this project. I was able to acquire a lockable 12volt plug & adapter from Marinco, and I had Atomic Fabworks install the plug in the passenger side cabinet facing the rear. I went with a pair of Rigid Industries Dually D2s (diffused lens), as well as a 6' LED lighted whip for a camp locator. I have daytime pics only at this time. I'll post up some night pics when I get a chance. Onto the pics...

The basic setup is as follows: I found an aluminum painter's pole that extends from 4' to 8' (Lowe's). The base and light mounting bar were fabbed up at Atomic. The adjustable pole is 'locked' in with wire pin fasteners at the base and the light mounting bar. The whole system is able to break down significantly. The base can be 'driven over' for stability, however, I chose to mount this on the roof rack.

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

The coil cord was quite a problem since I could not locate the exact length that I needed. I did not want to splice several short 'cobbled' sections together, rather, I was looking for a longer continuous coil length. Cable science to the rescue. I ordered a 5 foot coiled cable that could stretch out to 30 feet if needed. The NCV182 is a 2 conductor / 18 gauge coil that can accomodate up to 300 volts if need be. Cable science offers this in any length that you need. Fabrication took 4 business days and it was shipped following completion. The coil is high quality. The rubberized coating appears very durable, and I am looing forward to many years of service. I recommend Cable Science highly.

IMG_0642.jpg

The Rigid Industries Dually D2s (diffused pattern) exhibit the light pattern that I feel is ideal for this project. The flexible whip is from Tribal Whips. Both lights are able to be unplugged when needed, and they are quite bright to say the least.

IMG_0639.jpg

I mounted the base on the Bajarack to gain as much height as possible. The total height of the Duallys are about 20 feet + the length of the whip. I have 'guy wires' (heavy duty bungee straps), and they are hooked to the corners of the Bajarack.

IMG_0658.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I'm working on becoming more proficient at setup and teardown. I'll post night pics when I am able to. Enjoy!

Regards,

BWJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles