The "Amazing Box Tent" Pop Up Camper, Very Rare Find.

STREGA

Explorer
Somebody need to buy this camper so he can use all of his driveway.

Ace

Talked to my brother yesterday and he is going to be coming by to pick it up in a couple of weeks if it does not sell, either way my driveway will be all mine again!

Powagoneer

Seems like a guy (or gal) could make something like this camper. You could take a small pop up tent trailer and modify it with some corner jacks/steel framing, etc. take the axle and tongue off, mount it in the bed of a pickup, and presto! pop up tent truck camper. Hmmm got me thinking. :ylsmoke:
something like this:

Attachments

• Redneck Mansion.pdf
    160.2 KB · Views: 406

STREGA

Explorer
Did not know they made a mini truck version of this camper. Price seems fair to me, although mine was a better value since I was including a new set of tent walls that would cost about $700. Also thought it was funny that they used a picture of mine in their ad.

Etoyoc

A little untimely to this thread.....but.....better late than never! I think I'm the guy that scarffed up the Boulder Unit. Someone even caught me taking it home in traffic in my M416 trailer behind my Jeep and posted that pic in another ExPrtl thread. Soooooo, after this summer of using this unit, thought I'd share here. I have the smaller of the two units reportedly made. Due to the shape of it, and the fact I have a tailgate on my M416, I chanced picking it up with the trailer and Jeep. Although my intentions were to use it mainly in my pick-up, for more extreme trails my conventional Hallmark Pop-up LaVeta may not fit up. [I have a camper fetish anyway ;-) ]

I was actually surprised at how it fit in the M416 like a glove. This smaller box tent weighs in at about 300 lbs. Not terrible for the trailer, but not the optimal fighting weight I would like to keep it at, but it does work and tow well with the Jeep ( 35's, 4:56 gears, 5 speed, stock 4.0 ).
Box Tent and Jeep.jpg

In my Dodge Ram 2500 cummins, the 300 pounds is nothing. The Box Tent stays within the confines of the bed, and does not stick over the cab. What I was looking for. Then up a tough trail and still have great shelter off the ground. It is like a RTT on steroids. Plus standing room, some storage, and room to relax for a while is bad weather hits. I tested it on a gnarly trail outside St. Elmo Colorado for it's maiden voyage. The Grizzly Lake Trail. When I made it to the Lake at 11,266 feet, and set up camp, it was awesome to have a roomy dry accommodation off the ground.
Grizzly Lake Trail: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=55

The only limitations getting up the trail was the truck it self; mild KORE lift, 37's, 4:11's, 6 speed, winch, no lockers, and its physical size on a "jeep trail". (never had the bells and whistles as a kid and "learned" how to wheel, so it doesn't worry me now. I still apply the "80% driver 20% vehicle" formula to my wheeling. My Jeep is fully tricked out though.) So.... The Grizzly lake trail is tight, rough, and a big rock obstacle first thing out of the chute right out of a stream crossing. A little rock stacking and a nudge up with the winch, and it was normal rough trail the rest of the way.

The Box Tent stayed put on its tethers. The weight plus the compliant KORE progressive springs flexing well, worked hand in hand with the LSD rear for keeping traction. I let a couple "locked up" trail rigs have at the wall first, then took my time planning, stacking, and using a little tug of the winch.

wall climb.jpg

The weather on this trip late August, or "Augtember" as I was calling it was chilly and rainy at 11 thousand feet. The Box tent made the 3 day stay up there a joy. A small Mr. Buddy heater kept it cozy. Off the ground, out of the wind and rains when squalls moved thru, made it easy to hold out for the nice weather breaks. The floor cabinets held enough stuff needed to stay indoors for a while. I really don't miss a fridge and "kitchen". My cooler and camp stove are fine, and a propane heater kept it warm. I had the Ritz-Carlton at this location as far as I was concerned. Plus the ability to get to a "tough nut" location with all my toys too.

Grizzly Montage.jpg

Anyway. There's a little more on these cool units showing some advantages over the bigger more cushy campers. (which still have their place)

Peace ~ Out ! Happy Overlanding ! See ya at OX14 :)

GOPR0422.jpg

bruue1

Observer
I happened to come across one of these "box tents" also the smaller unit on MN Cragislist today. Curious I googled it and found this thread. Thought I'd post the link here in case anybody is interested and comes across it here. I have a very similar camper called a Bethany Pickupper, its a little bigger and weighs around 800lbs dry. Wood and steal with a furnace and a small galley. Its basically the same idea. It'd be something to check out too, if your looking for this sort of a set up. Low profile and no cabover. Anyways, here's the link to the Canadian Box Tent, I have to say I like this and I have another truck this would fit great in. I just can't but it without pissing off my wife, she'd say "what the hell do we need two truck campers for?" :)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/rvs/4405611812.html just copy and paste it

here's a photo of my Bethany too just for kicks

Attachments

• truckwithcampernewsprings.jpg
    truckwithcampernewsprings.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • camper15.jpg
    camper15.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,298

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member