The "Amazing Box Tent" Pop Up Camper, Very Rare Find.

STREGA

Explorer
NOTE: The Box Tent has been taken off the market for now, my brothers son is going to use it this summer.

What is a "Box Tent" you ask? It is a fibre-glass and wood constructed slide-in pop-up tent camper that was made in Canada. It is built for long bed full size pick up trucks but will work on short beds (they apparently made a short bed version) as well as utility trailers. The Box Tent was imported to the states about 10-15 years ago but due to the unfavorable Canadian to US dollar exchange rate they were expensive and ultimately never sold well here in the states, hence they are rare. In fact they are so hard to find here in the states in the 6 years it has been in our family I have yet to ever come across anyone who has seen one before or knows anything about them. I once tried a Google search for Box Tents and came up with nothing on them, I do not know if they are still being made or not. I bought this unit from the guy that was the US sales rep for Box Tents and he used it as his demo example, so the first few years of its life it was only used to show it to RV dealers and was never used as a camper. That's most of the history I know about this Camper.

The details on it are as follows:

Base dimension (bottom half) 94"L x 47"W, and is 24"H. at 15" from the bottom it angles out about 45 degrees for 9" and then goes horizontal again for about 6" to clear the side of the pick up bed.

The top is 74"W where it meets the bottom half of camper and narrows to 69" W, it is 98"L at the bottom and narrows to 93" at the top and is 12"H. Total Height is 36" closed. I don't have the open height but I'am 6' tall and have plenty of head room inside, I'am guessing it is at least 7' though.

I have never weighed it but its around 500 lbs+-.

When it's mounted in the truck bed its height was below the cab height so it had little effect on gas mileage (I had a '05 Dodge Powerwagon), I lost about .5-1 mpg, when your not getting great fuel mileage to begin with it doesn't hurt much. With the big pop up camper we had before the Box Tent we lost at least 3 mpg's, ouch!

It has 4 tie down hooks one at each corner to secure it to the truck (or trailer). It also has a small boat rack mounted to the top which could be used for other purposes.

As stated above it is constructed of high quality plywood and thick fibre-glass, it is very stout and with reasonable care should last for years to come. The lift mechanism is the common style you see in most pop up tent trailers here in the states, telescoping square tubing and cable and uses a hand crank to lift and lower the top. The tent material is of high quality with metal zippers and is in good condition (there is a couple snaps that need to be repaired). I also have a complete set of new never used tent walls, four in total that will be included with it, the guy I bought this from said the tent walls are worth about $750. There are screened windows on all 4 sides so it gets good ventilation and it never has leaked in rain storms.

The inside is spartan. When popped up there is 2 beds and 6 doors that access storage area on the bottom (maybe 8"D x 16"T and 90"L) you can actually store quite a bit of stuff in it. It originally came with a small table and a small ice box but were mostly useless (IMHO) and took up valuable space so were removed to make room for other gear. There is no sink, stove, heater, water tank or other luxuries. You will have to provide that stuff like if you were using a ground tent, I'am sure for some this will be a problem for others not so much. You can leave the bedding in the tent when folding down like most RTT's. The best way to visualize this camper is to think of it as a giant Autohome Maggolina RTT that fits in a pick up bed.

The only issues that I'am aware of is there is a couple snaps that need to be repaired and one of the mattress is missing (have no idea what happen to it), overall it is in very good shape with no damage to the fibre-glass and the lifting mechanism works great. This camper is owned by my brother now and I'am selling it for him.

The Box Tent origninally sold for $6,000.00 when new, asking $2,500.00 including the spare tent walls. Pictures to be added soon (the utillity trailer that its sitting on is NOT included). PM me if you need more info. Thanks for looking, Doug.

:Wow1: PRICE REDUCED TO $2,000.00 :Wow1:

Last edited:

Chaos

Observer
image.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Here are some pics Doug asked me to post. Having camped with Doug and his bother several times I am familiar with this camper and can vouch for its good condition and ease of setup. Note again: TRAILER IS NOT INCLUDED.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353953106.009613.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353953127.544356.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353953149.061079.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353953184.644489.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
This could be mounted in a small utility trailer with a good lift and proper sized tires and make a great off-road camper.

STREGA

Explorer
Price reduced to $2,000.00

Lowering price to $2,000.00 :Wow1:

As Ace has mentioned when mounted on a utility trailer with the axle flipped and decent size/proper tires this can be taken over moderate trails with ease. When mounted on a PU truck you can pretty much go anywhere you can get your truck to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles