Coleman Stoves

mjohns2

Observer
I picked up a coleman 2 burner dual fuel stove a few weeks ago and just Century Regulated Propane Converter (propane adapter for the stove). I finally got to play with it during the Thanksgiving break. My main concern is that the fuel line goes directly over one of the burners.

Example is here at 2:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoDqgj8FoI&feature=related

Is it safe to run this for long periods at a time?

Last edited:
That tube over the burner ensures proper atomization of the fuel. The fuel runs thought he tube and the heat causes it to vaporize.

I think.

Correct. Have no fear! Those are just about the best stoves you can carry if space is not an issue. No need to bring special fuel. Just don't use 'em inside an enclosed space.

perkj

Explorer
watch it, these Coleman stoves can become addicting. Cool forum dedicated to everything coleman: http://colemancollectorsforum.websitetoolbox.com/

I started with one Dual Fuel 414 and then I caught the bug....now I have 2 - 425s (small two burner), 1 - 424 (small dual fuel two burner, 2 - 413s (large two burners), 1 - 414 (large two burner dual fuel), 2 - 426s (triple burner), 1 - 428 (triple burner dual fuel), 3 - 502s (single burner), 1 - 400 (single burner), 1 - 440 (single burner dual fuel), 1 - 442 (single burner dual fuel), 1 - 576 (single burner), 2 - 550s (single burner triple fuel...kero being the third), 1 - Apex II (single burner triple fuel). Still looking to pick up a 508 and 533.

From there some of the old Optimus stoves caught my eye, so I have 1 - 111 Kerosene w/roar burner, 1 - 111T Triple fuel with whisper burner, 1 - Hiker+ multifuel, and 1 - 8R

...and then there are the lanterns: 9 - 237 Keros, 1 - 236, 1 - 214 Kero, 4 - 222s, 4 - 226s, 4 - 220s, 1 - 200, and 1 - 285

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
watch it, these Coleman stoves can become addicting.

Coleman addiction - check.

I've got a dozen or so 70's & older 2/3 buners and a handful of 1M & 2M lanterns, they get a workout each year on the Relic Run :D

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats kinda like when I lived in Honduras the showers hot water was this plug in thing ! problem was the socket was up near the shower head and you were supposed to plug it in when you were in the shower !!!!

I was to freaked even though nobody ever got shocked

Tom and Elaine

Observer
perki, thanks for the website, joined last weekend and am truly enjoying learning about the 10 or so lanterns and four stoves I've had for years. T&E

GREENI

Adventurer
So guys, what's the best fuel to use? I run mine on un-leaded, purely because I have a jerry can in the garage to fuel my mower and strimmer. But I've heard it can gum things up?

perkj

Explorer
Best to run them on Coleman Fuel and only use unleaded when there is nothing else. If you do use unleaded say for a week or two trip, it best to empty or burn off all the unleaded fuel. Then fill with a bit of coleman fuel and slosh it around in the tank and then burn all that off (don't just empty the tank by hand, burn it off so the coleman fuel gets in the generator). Finally take the generator apart, I.e. pull the coil and needle stick and then clean with carb cleaner or such. Good to spray the carb cleaner in the tank too and dump it. Put it back together and then you're good to go. Some suggest adding some Seafoam (any auto store carries) into the bit of Coleman fuel I suggested adding and then burning off....with the Seaform you shouldn't have to take the generator apart as it supposed to do the same thing as the carb cleaner.

Jason

RedF

Adventurer
I picked one of these stoves out of the scrap metal bin at work this summer. I need to source a fuel cap for it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I picked one of these stoves out of the scrap metal bin at work this summer. I need to source a fuel cap for it.

Man sporting goods stores stock spares for them still, otherwise they are available from the different resto parts outfits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior