What kind of trailer is this?

tweenerlj

Adventurer
3K33F33J65Kf5M45Jbcav76681a8f95fc1151.jpg

Any ideas? Looks kind of like a Bantam. It is being sold for $300. I'm thinking about looking at it. If it is solid, I think that $300 is probably reasonable. The ad also states that it is registered.

Robert Bills

Explorer
It may have started life as a Bantam T3 or Willys MBT (looks like it could have a T3 or MBT tub), but there may be a tailgate which opens up possibilities that it is a hacked WWII trailer, Bantam T3C or some other make entirely. The fenders are incorrect for a T3/T3C/MBT, and not in the stock T3/T3C/MBT location. Also, the axle does not appear to be T3/T3C/MBT (hubs are wrong).

We need better photos of the axle, tongue, coupler, tie down hooks,stake pockets (original or add-ons), rear of tub, etc. Otherwise, any responses you get will be pure guesswork.

Whatever it is and all things considered, $200 or so might not be a bad price for a platform to build on if the frame and tub are solid. However, if there is rust damage or on close inspection it turns out to be a hack job, best to pass on this one.

Last edited:

tweenerlj

Adventurer
I'd stay clear...

Can you elaborate on why you made this statement? My thoughts are that this could be made into a decent trailer without too much work (Granted I have not looked at it yet) I have a friend who bought this:

t4-1339338878.jpg

With a little elbow grease and some paint it now looks like this:

t4-1342476298.jpg

The fenders will need more work on this, but it shouldn't be too bad, so long as the frame is OK, which is hard to tell in the picture.

Robert Bills

Explorer
The trailer you haven't seen yet may be a good candidate for a project or a hacked up rust bucket. Only you can determine which. A lot will depend on your fabrication skills, available tools and work space, time, available funds, etc. From the photo it looks hacked, and the junk piled inside is an omen that the owner has neglected it. Go look at it. It can't be evaluated any other way.

If that photo is the only information available to me from which to make a purchase decision, then my decision would be to pass on it and find one in better shape. Your first hand observation may lead you to a different conclusion. But leave any rose colored glasses at home.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
^^^^ Take this good piece of advice above.....
If you plan on replacing the tongue, axle springs, adding a tailgate it might be a good candidate. If the tub and frame are rusty then there isn't much there, especially at $300. You can probably do better as a starter platform for not much more money. Just be patient and keep looking if you really want a bantam style trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior