Land Rover and Jeep

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If that goes through, does it mean that Jeeps will get more IFS, or Rovers will get solid axles again??? hmmmm

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
You have to excuse some of our fellow LR brethren as they can get kind of up-tight:) I think potentially some pretty exciting vehicles could be generated by that relationship. I'm thinking 110 Rubicon???

Andrew Walcker said:
I think potentially some pretty exciting vehicles could be generated by that relationship. I'm thinking 110 Rubicon???

Agreed....the possibilities are interesting as is the history.

Given that a former axis power was running Jeep ....from some Jeepers perspective its thought that crap like the Compass and Patriot were instilled by Mercedes soley as a means to get revenge on the Jeep :jump:

Scott Brady

Founder
Hey Robert,

Have you driven a Patriot? Pretty fun little SUV.

As far as I am concerned, if Patriots help fund Rubicons, than I am all for them :)

No....I've not driven one and notice I said "some Jeepers" Scott.

The discussions on these vehicles on some of the Jeep specific boards were rather amusing so I'm with you....if by producing vehicles such Patriots and Compasses (Compai?) they can then produce more Rubicons and the like, then all the mo' betta.

overlander

Expedition Leader
robert j. yates said:

Given that a former axis power was running Jeep ....from some Jeepers perspective its thought that crap like the Compass and Patriot were instilled by Mercedes soley as a means to get revenge on the Jeep :jump:

You might recall that Rover was owned by BMW in 1996 (or thereabouts). Strangely enough, it lasted long enough for BMW to come out with their SUV, then they sold Rover...coincidence or strategy? You decide.

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I gotta say that the more I think about it the more excited I get. Jeep has done the best job, IMHO, of giving the off road community what they want. Over on D-90 Source there was talk of a Indian company (sorry, can't remember the name, Overlander, do you remember?) purchasing Rover. The feeling was that this company was not sophisticated enough to really push the Rover line in the US, let alone perhaps filling all of our dreams of re-intorducing the Defender line to these shores. Man, Rover has been passed around like the red headed step child for so long I hope they eventually land in a good place with a company that will capitalize on them.

Just a dreamin, but bear with me. A Defender 110 with the CRD Jeep motor and Rubicon running gear....:drool:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
robert j. yates said:

That's what us Rover guys say about the questionable reliability of the Freelander (read FORD's revenge):)

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
expeditionswest said:
Have you driven a Patriot? Pretty fun little SUV.

As far as I am concerned, if Patriots help fund Rubicons, than I am all for them :)

I have not had a chance to drive a Patriot, but it seems I follow one to work everyday. They have a really cool little compass insignia that is molded into the rear bumper. What can I say, it's the little things that get me everytime:)

I know that Rover still uses the Defender line (read cheaper introduction vehicle) to sell their luxo flagship Range Rovers. Seems to work for them, but than again they are on Ford's chopping block:)

Last edited:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
overlander said:
You might recall that Rover was owned by BMW in 1996 (or thereabouts). Strangely enough, it lasted long enough for BMW to come out with their SUV, then they sold Rover...coincidence or strategy? You decide.

The BMW days ruled!!! I think BMW took over in 94 (sold in late 90s?)because I remember Bosch electronics showing up in 95s and younger. I have a picture somewhere of a South African Defender 110 with a diesel BMW engine under the bonnet, pure love!!!

overlander

Expedition Leader
Andrew Walcker said:
The BMW days ruled!!! I think BMW took over in 94 (sold in late 90s?)because I remember Bosch electronics showing up in 95s and younger. I have a picture somewhere of a South African Defender 110 with a diesel BMW engine under the bonnet, pure love!!!

And just as good (for you petrol rover owners) the distributorless ignition. Just about as good as it gets with petrol (if you can get excited about petrol that is).

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
overlander said:
And just as good (for you petrol rover owners) the distributorless ignition. Just about as good as it gets with petrol (if you can get excited about petrol that is).

Good point, I love my wee8, I love my wee8, I'd love to have a 300tdi!:oops:

jeepboyd

Observer
the tdi is awesome a buddy of mine here in va has 97,( i mean 82 ) d90 and it is BAD after seeing it wheel i want one (the 27 mpg on 33's doesn't hurt either) It would be sweet to see a defender back in the states again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94