cooper stt = pro comp xtreme mt?

BCJC

Adventurer

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
BCJC said:
well, i hope some of you tire savvy folk could weigh in with your opinion on this. i'm thinking thinking for all intents and purposes that the new pro comp xtreme mt is very similar to the cooper stt, ie. "armor tek-3 carcass", siped lugs, cooper actually makes pro comp tires, and they measure out to the same dimensions. any thoughts?

http://www.procomptires.com/xtrememudterrain.html

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_lighttruck.aspx?page=discoverer_stt

I think you answered your own question:)

Pro Comp is made by Cooper Tire. The tires are probably almost identical.

Photog

Explorer
Well, the tread patter is not the same, and there is no reason to believe the rubber compound is the same. Those are the two major things that control tire traction and tread life. I suspect they are of equal quality. Some companies don't even use the same rubber compound whithin one tread pattern. Many use a softer compound on the larger tires, and a harder compound on the tire sizes used for daily driving: 30 X 9.50 to 33 X 12.50 (posers). There are not many soft M/T rubber compounds in that range of tire sizes.

Last edited:

ginericLC

Adventurer
Mickey Thompson MTZs are also made in the same plant with a similar tread. And the ******** Cepeks too.

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks. for me living in canada, it's hard to get the same deals as you guys down in the states (even with currency parity, shipping and brokerage fees kill you). i have a line on a great deal on the pro comp's, and have looked around, and wonder if for my purposes, being a dd and weekend trail rider, these tires would be "close enough" to the coopers. input is appreciated as the deal on the pro comps is over at the end of the month. cheers

ginericLC

Adventurer
I'd do it if that is what you can get the deal on. The buy 3 get 1 free deal is hard to pass up. My brother has the MT MTZs as they had a special on them when they released them. He says he still has well over half tread and over 20k on them. So the wear on those is pretty good too. I was trying to make it the deal work on a set of 315/75/16 Xtreme ATs but I have some newer Goodyear MTRs that I can't seem to get rid of so I'll just run them until they are gone. My all time favorite tire is the Toyo MT. I had those on my last Cruiser and they were absolutely incredible in every condition. The one downside of them is the price and availability.

outsidr

Adventurer
Pro Comp Tires are a false value. I sell Cooper STT's and in my experience they are the best performing tire for the dollar. Pro Comp are definitely the cheapest but they consistently have wear problems and die around 25-28K coopers will get 10k more+ and wear better to boot

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Wish the tire makers would list durometer #'s. While the two tires are similar, I doubt they are more than passingly similar.

Photog said:
...Many use a softer compound on the larger tires, and a harder compound on the tire sizes used for daily driving: 30 X 9.50 to 33 X 12.50 (posers). There are not many soft M/T rubber compounds in that range of tire sizes.

With the GoodYear MT/R being an exception.

Mark

Photog

Explorer
crawler#976 said:
Wish the tire makers would list durometer #'s. While the two tires are similar, I doubt they are more than passingly similar.

With the GoodYear MT/R being an exception.

Mark

One of the Super Swampers is softer than the others in that range also. Unless something has changed, the 33X12.50-15 was the softest rubber in that group. Maybe that size - on up, have the softer rubber.

If you want a rough estimate of which ones will wear longer, and which ones will be stickier, you will need a durometer gauge.

JPFreek1

Explorer
If possible take the Coopers, I've 40+k on a set of stt and they are almost to 50%.

Agreed. The Discoverer STT is a highly underrated tire and it's technical capability and longevity make it an excellent choice.

No back to the ProComp Xtreme MT: I've no input. Ha!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have a pair of the old style STT's and really like them. Well, at least I did when they had tread left. ;)
I'll probably try a set of the new style.

gahill2

Observer
Agreed. The Discoverer STT is a highly underrated tire and it's technical capability and longevity make it an excellent choice.

No back to the ProComp Xtreme MT: I've no input. Ha!

Ha. As stated on here the Pro Comp's are made by Cooper so I hope for the same tread life. There doesn't seem to be any information anywhere on an average that folks are getting out of the tire. That is what I was really looking for before I purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles