Tablet controlled lights

barlowrs

Explorer
OO OOOO.....Figure out how to do a wireless camera to a tablet...I use my tablet for nav so its always in my truck, and I wish there was a way to have a backup camera work wirelessly through it haha

lostdreamer

I was considering doing something with an Auduino. But I never got beyond the 'considering' stage. Very interested to hear how this project goes.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Good that you enjoy that type of tinkering. Too much technology for me. I'll stick with good old switches.

I can't even get interested in using a tablet for nav, let alone lighting control. Technology is cool, but the thing I enjoy most about going on an adventure is turning OFF all the crap I have to use for work. Again, cool concept, but definitely not for me...

I feel the same way... A few plain ol' *thunk-thunk* switches neatly put in a little row off to the side is all I need. :Wow1:

soonenough

Explorer
OO OOOO.....Figure out how to do a wireless camera to a tablet...I use my tablet for nav so its always in my truck, and I wish there was a way to have a backup camera work wirelessly through it haha
x2 on this. I recently did some searching and it looks like it's been done, but there's nothing turn-key available.

jmayeux999

I would be very interested in this. I am new to Tacoma and wheeling, but have always loved technology. I use apple devices so iOS capability would be great

"Android tablet bluetooth-interface for sPOD."

Toggle switches are cheap, simple and reliable. More importantly, switches are trusted, technology isn't. Others have already expressed concerns about what happens when the tablet is broken. Obviously, tablets are far more useful than any toggle switch, and this should be your focus if you intend to market your idea in the overlanding community (in addition to GPS, geocaching, editing photos, blogging, performing conversions, etc., you can now operate all of your 12V accessories with this new product). Your idea adds functionality to a platform that many people are already using.

Just think how fun it would be to change the labels/icons of switches, change the order in which they are arranged, or even change the colors of the icons to help identify them easier -blue for the ARB fridge, white for lights, red for winch controls, etc. By providing complete control over their 12V gadgets, you would be providing people with a unique experience and far more flexibility than would be available otherwise.

With the diverse offerings from sPOD, it seems that creating a plug-and-play, bluetooth, tablet interface to work with their relay board could make things more simple for you. With the sPOD, you would be able to turn on/off up to 6 items, and you would have the option of integrating their switch board as a failsafe. The relay boards can be purchased separate from the switch box, operate without molesting the factory harness, and already have most of the mounting figured out for several vehicles. This also means that people who already own an sPOD may be interested in adding your product to their current setup -basically adding to your potential customer base. You would still have to come up with the interface between the tablet and sPOD relay board, but it appears that you were going to something similar anyway. I'm not sure how big you want to go, but you could always post your project idea up on kickstarter.com.

I said a lot, but it's only food for thought.
Cheers

Ethan

I have the project on hold for now as its been the Holidays. sPOD interface looks like it would be easy as its doing most of what im talking about now, many people don't understand electronics and get scared off by the idea of having a circuit board but the sPOD has components that would fail sooner than the electronics side. The relays are what will take the beating and be exposed to the harsh loads. I suppose there have been plenty of examples where manufacturers have gone for "cheap" and not "quality" However if done right the electronics can last quite some time. Come next month I plan to put more effort into this project and let everyone know how its going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz