Camp Stereo

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I actually have an old Sony portable CD player, I should dig it out and see what voltage it needs. I could plug it into the same speaker I run off of my tablet for MP3s...but I am trying to get away from carrying a bunch of CDs on the trail.

java

Expedition Leader
I have a Goal Zero one. Its pretty damn good for the size.

If you want a job radio style get the Bosch. Have one of those too, but it goes to work, not camping. Way too big for that IMO

DJGoo

Too much WoW
I actually have an old Sony portable CD player, I should dig it out and see what voltage it needs. I could plug it into the same speaker I run off of my tablet for MP3s...but I am trying to get away from carrying a bunch of CDs on the trail.

Well, that guy up there is something like 40$, runs off batteries, and has an auxiliary input.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Altec Lansing iM227 Orbit $20.00 - Single speaker (not stereo), extremely small and light, 24hr battery life (3 AASs), carrying case, very limited sound quality and volume.

Just picked up one of these from Amazon...what a great little speaker! Exactly what I wanted for traveling/camping. For something that fits in the palm of your hand I thing it sounds great.

86cj

Explorer
Tivoli Songbook, for it's size it makes really good bass and sounds very clean, almost Bose like. I have had one for several years and use it everyday, a quality product.................
.http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/portables/the-songbook-684.html

I do not listen to music when remote camping and agree with the "51 noisy weeks" comments, but I do pull out some Big Tunes for bombfire camping with my buddies on private property.:beer:......

nothing wrong with some music at reasonable levels for you and your family to hear, then again I don't camp in parking lot style "campgrounds" just something bout camping in an area that reminds me of a supermarket parking lot. I use a bluetooth bose mini soundlink

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I do not camp parking lot style either.

Fact is with the amplifiers, bass boosters, and speakers in common use today a music box can be heard across a ridgeline and in the next valley.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I agree with most that cables suck but IMHO Bluetooth also eats up battery power which I'd rather conserve if possible.

That said, does anyone make a reasonably priced (<$150) portable rugged speaker system with an integrated USB port that can play music off a memory stick? I'd prefer that to having to use a bluetooth setup.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Macworld has a nice little review of 9 rugged Bluetooth speakers designed for outdoor use here. In summary:

* Braven BRV-1 and Philips's Shoqbox offer great combination of ruggedness, portability and sound quality with Scoosche's Boombottle being a good option for cyclists
* EcoXBT is a great option for people on the water a lot
* TDK's A33 and Nyne's NB-250 are excellent choices for car camping or patios being a bit bigger and heavier than some of the others but offering the best sound quality

Most of the units tested have a USB or 3.5mm audio jack if you don't want to go the Bluetooth route.

Mocean365

pretty cool addition to the speaker game straight out of Portland Maine, geared towards adventurers. we heard one and it blasts. downside is is its just speakers etc..no work radio gadgets and chargers etc and its a little pricey but hand made. Demer box..
BigBlue_large.jpg

pluton

Adventurer
Stereo sound from one point is not acceptable, so that rules out the jobsite speaker/radios. While in the past I've heard boom boxes that had good sound, most boom boxes I've heard lately sound awful. If I couldn't find good sounding boom boxes, I'd consider getting 2 jobsite speaker/radios and running them as left and right channels.
I have used Bose Sound Links(2, spaced apart and tricked into playing stereo, but they have very low output power and therefore can't reproduce dynamics well), Advent Powered Partners( run on 12v but discontinued after a 20-year run), the car stereo with the front doors open and the small JBL Control 1's from the car interior pointing out the back hatch(4Runner), and for the nicest, most dynamic sound, JBL Control 5's running on speaker wire extensions from the rear car speaker outputs. The JBL Control 1's and Control 5's are both 4 ohm, so you've got the best chance of getting reasonable dynamics out of your car stereo. My car stereo is an Alpine with the matching Alpine 45W/ch(into 4 ohms) amp added behind the dash.
JBL Control 5
The Control 5's sound terrible inside the car(too bright) but decent outside, btw.

EDIT: I forgot the Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 portable speaker system(also discontinued)...it's little box amp was low powered, even though the system boasted an 8" subwoofer.
On the subject of generating sound out in remote areas, I follow the protocol of 'If there are other people there in close proximity , no amplified or artificial sound should be produced, including stereos and generators'. If there are already stereos blasting or generators running, well...these folks obviously aren't interested in having a quiet environment around them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz