Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegas Day Trips.

Default Vegas Day Trips.

Most people visiting Vegas never leave the Strip and sadly miss so much of our local character and history. My wife and I enjoy climbing and exploring, but our passion is historical mine exploration. There are so many ways to die in mine, so I hope this doesn't encourage anyone. I just wanted to share with everyone an alternative to the Strip. Enjoy them from a safe distance.

I have thousands of pictures of mines within an hours drive of the Vegas Strip. I'll update this thread if there's an interest. If you ever plan on visiting Vegas, I hope you take a day to get outdoors.

This mine really snuck up on us. Most of the mines we've encountered have been into a rock feature like a hill or a mountain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VegasUnderworld; 12-10-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    VegasUnderworld.com
    A guide to historic mining of Southern Nevada.

Our initial instinct was to keep driving because there didn't look like there was much to it. I'm so glad we took the time to have a closer look. It really had some depth to it.
    VegasUnderworld.com

We never reached the bottom of this mine. We ran out of rope long before the bottom. We'll return to that one at a later date with more rope.
    VegasUnderworld.com

Interesting. What were your pictured mines extracting? Silver or what? I know the state of Utah has had a program to completely close up many old mine holes because of "safety concerns". What about Nevada?

That was a single mine. Most of the mining in the area has been for gold, silver, lead and zinc. There are also signs of volcanic activity in this area and a few tales of diamonds being found.

Every few years, someone falls into a mine and gets hurt or dies. After each instance, there's a public outcry to close the mines. I'm torn on this. I enjoy the mines, but I also don't want people to get hurt. I've seen mines made safe by using concrete blocks, steel bars, barb wire, and expanding foam called Puf.

In many instances where people enter mines and fall down shafts, there are already signs posted and some form of barrier. I don't think we should be protecting people from themselves. What upsets me most about the mine closures is the process often destroys the history.
    VegasUnderworld.com

Smaller mining operations would transport their ores to a larger mining mill for processing.
    VegasUnderworld.com

This is the largest mine mill we've come across in the area. It stood about 10 stories tall.
    VegasUnderworld.com

Here's another one near Vegas.
    VegasUnderworld.com

This mine went in and out of the mountain side. It was like an ant hill in there.
    VegasUnderworld.com

I saw a Dirty Jobs episode where they use that foam (Puf) stuff to seal up mines. Do you ever get freaked out of cave ins? Pretty cool pics.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast