The tank, an earth roamer on a budget

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I agree with everyone else. This build is so cool I cant wait for more updates and pics....:drool:

Ponyracer

Adventurer
If all goes well ill be picking up my custom made 6" springs tomorrow. Im chomping at the bit to get them in along with the rear shackle flip. Once i get them in next weekend im going to get the truck measured for shocks and a drop pitman arm installed.

Its been a very weak winter up here so im hoping for an early spring. Guess I better get going!!

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well after a loooooong weekend of knuckle banging I got a few things accomplished.

-Installed BEEFY front springs ended up giving 5.25" of lift.

-Installed the rear shackle flip from ruff stuff specialties. As usual Dans stuff is top notch. gave about 4" of lift.

-Swapped rear dana 70 drw for a 14b corporate srw.

-Installed rear discs and made custom 1/2" caliper mounting brackets.

Still need to order steering correction, brake lines, and shocks. Need to source some srw width hubs for my for my d60. Also stuck some 35" tires mounted on 17" black rock crawlers on her for now. MAN this thing is a monster!! Im 6'4 and will be using the nerf bars to get in when they're done. That reminds me......

Carlyle

Explorer
I don't think it's allowed on this forum to tell about all the work you did without a single picture... Sounds cool though.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Sorry for falling off the earth for awhile. As usual life happened. Well I'm back and by expedition truck is on the front burner for a change.

So the tank is gone....

I got it together and was very unhappy with the 12v power output and driveability. Couple that with the cab having some rust and still needing a ton of $ invested I did what any yankee redneck would do and went and bought another truck.

89 gmc crew (seeing a trend?)
6.2 th400 205
D60/14b

Was an ex slope truck that spent its life on dirt roads so ZERO rust. Rockers and floors are like new.
Bed was banged up but I just happened to have a 10' ally flatbed laying around!

After driving the tank with an extended wb I new I didn't want to do that again. Amazing what 2' will do to a truck. So I shortened my fb down to 8' and installed it.
I gave the girl some love, new brakes, bearings etc and started collecting parts. 4ea new baja ta hummer tires. 5es 12 bolt hummer wheels. Ord crossover steering and a reman 2wd box. Custom 6" lift I removed from my tank. Tabor 12k winch for rear. Prob be picking up a ramsey 12k worm drive for the front this weekend. Also have plans to pick up another set of tons from a cucv with the 4.56 detroit combo in 2 weeks. I've also signed on to help my 18 yr old son lift his 91 k5. 6" on the tons I removed from the tank and 35s for now. Once the lift is installed and the wheels recentered/mounted I'm going to start on the interior and the camper. In the spring I'm going to get another cummins installed, this time a common rail 24v. Just run extra filtration and all will be well. I'm working off my phone but ill try to get some pics up soon.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So you were unhappy with the power and drivability of a 12v Cummins, and replaced it with a 6.2 with turbo 400???

Did you do any pump mods to the 12v or was it stock? It's pretty easy to dial in a lot more power for very little money with a 12v. Not so sure about the posibilities with a 6.2. I'm guessing the length of the truck played a large role in your decision to do something else...

Ponyracer

Adventurer
I turned up the pump and advanced the timing. Basically the big problem was 3 fold+. I was offered more money for the 12v than I paid, the length of the truck basically ruined it, and I got a WAY better condition truck for cheap. The 6.2 is a good runner but it isn't a 24v CR for sure. I'm going to run it for now til I get back to the lower 48 where I can find a CR/G56 combo to install.

Picked up a M12 last night for $300, god I love CL!

20130821_171451_zps6ca911ad.jpg
20130821_171458_zpsf2ee668b.jpg
20130821_171506_zps9da988fe.jpg

Hopefully start mounting the winch tonight, along with working on recentering a hummer wheel or 2. Still waiting on my custom rock rings to be cut.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Although I am sorry to see the tank get sold I am looking forward to seeing pics and updates on the new rig. Lets see some pics!:)

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Once the rain stops ill get some pics of the truck (if it ever does!). I spent 4 hrs in the shop trying to get my hummer wheels true. What a pita. Still trying to find a good way to do it. Lifting my sons truck this weekend so ill snap some pics of his ride too. Hoping to get the wheels recentered and the winch mounted this weekend.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Well I got my hummer wheels done, tacked them using my jig and installed them on the truck to check for runout. All were less than .050 except one that was .083. Factory steel wheels are .010-.020 and aftermarket ones are .060-.080 so I think they will be fine. Also got my sons truck mostly lifted. Think his 6" springs were actually 8" springs. Jesus this thing is a monster. Had to go with a rear shackle flip AND 4" blocks for it to sit level!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well I got my hummer wheels done, tacked them using my jig and installed them on the truck to check for runout. All were less than .050 except one that was .083. Factory steel wheels are .010-.020 and aftermarket ones are .060-.080 so I think they will be fine. Also got my sons truck mostly lifted. Think his 6" springs were actually 8" springs. Jesus this thing is a monster. Had to go with a rear shackle flip AND 4" blocks for it to sit level!

Wow:Wow1:sounds cool. I would really like to see some pics of your new truck and your sons too!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles