The tank, an earth roamer on a budget

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Very nice:Wow1: looking fabrication work there Pony! It looks like your welds are clean with a nice flow. It looks like it is not the first time you have a welder in your hand. I am just wondering if you dont think that there will be issues driving a truck that long off-road. Also your turning radius must be huge.... I am looking forward to seeing how the truck comes together in the future. Keep up the good work and lets see some more pics soon. Cheeers, Chilli....:)

Ponyracer

Adventurer
This isnt going to be an "offroad" rig per say, more of a trail head base camp and a future drive around the country/world type rig. Think Earth Roamer F550 on the cheap. Concerned about it being big? Next major step in a 6" lift and 37's......

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
How much overlap of the extension piece and the frame? Just curious.

Looking forward to this build.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Got the other rocker tacked in, the cab corners repaired, andd the flatbed back on. I'm going to drop off the rear dshaft for lengthening tomorrow. Hoping to have it back on the road by the end of the week.

Looks much more proportionate now, still need to extend the rear section of the frame to just past the flat bed, then I'm going to build a full wrap around bumper to protect it. Hopefully I'll be ordering the lift soon.

S__5631.jpg

Jomax

Observer
You paid 300bux for goodyear duratracs!?!?!? What size are they in the last pic?

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
Gauges, DP tuner, ported housing, T-500:evil:, JW VB, 5in turbo back, hutch/harpoon mod, 6.0 IC, tru cool tranny cooler, etc

Ponyracer

Adventurer
not much to update, bought a massive sears batt, a rebadged odessy from what i read. highly recommend! only batt so far to be able to start my cummins in -15 without being plugged in.

picked up a "play" truck/dd so most of my attention has been to that and xmas. buying a cucucv after the first of the yr,

Ponyracer

Adventurer
stupid phone....anyway, the cucv is getting parted, the tons are going under my play truck(2000 silverado xcab). the lift it has is going under the tank.

yes durra tracks for 300 6ea! they are 235 85 16's.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Judging by the pics that did your talking, you have a serious set of tools! You made the 24" stretch look easy. Nice job! Can't wait to see it on the 37s!!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like the work you have done Pony. The flatbed looks sturdy. Do you have enough room under the flatbed for the rear to articulate/flex? You might find a rear sway bar is usefull with a huge camper. Check out my sig and you can see what I had to do to control the sideways sway. Let me know if I can give you any tips in the suspension area and canopy building. Cheers, Chilli....:)

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Chilli, no I have hardly any clearance. Hence another reason for the lift. Not like I'm going to get much flex out of a leaf pack that looks like it belongs on a dump truck lol. Ya I'm planning on a heavy swaybar.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
In regards to the flatbed:
How wide/long?
What dimensional material did you use?
Are the only contact points with the frame the few cross-members that go from passenger to driver side and hit the factory mounts?
What are you planning on sheeting it with?

I'm a few weeks behind you. I want to do aluminum but my budget might dictate steel.

Thanks
-Chris

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Ill have to measure it to get the exact dimensions but iirc its about 10'4 long by 8' wide. Im mounting all the crosembers to frame stands i built. cant rember the thickness, its whatever 4/6" channel comes in. I was going to use 1/8 diamond plate but i decided to gp with wood planks instead as my sleds would tear up the ally in short order.

Id go with ally if possible, i can remove and install the frame myself. of it was steel theres no way i could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles