'12 JK Rubicon MW3 Edition build

PGT

Adventurer
N00b here. This is my second Wrangler, the first one a TJ. We sold the TJ years ago for being too small as our family grew. I decided I'd buy another Wrangler when there was a four door Hemi version (or diesel option). The 2012 of course has neither but the Pentastar makes it a respectable, somewhat fuel efficient alternative.

I was inspired five years ago by what was then a radical concept.....an all silver, G-Wagenesque SEMA truck. As I recall, it had the Merc Bluetec V6 diesel in it (during the Daimler-Chrysler period). It had AEV stuff before I knew who AEV was. :)

jeep-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-sema654x436Jan-17-2012_133820298227.jpg

Wrangler-SEMAinterior.png

My (somewhat) local Jeep dealer became an authorized AEV dealer earlier this year. I tried on three occassions to get by and check out three different JK231R builds but each time, they sold too quickly. I mulled the options of a factory order sending it on to AEV or building a JK231R through the local dealer. In the end, I decided to get an MW3 Edition, which had the AEV bumpers and a version of the hood.

I wasn't fond of the seats and wanted caramel colored leather, to be similar to the Cognac Leather I had swapped into my TJ from an Apex Edition a decade ago. I also wanted the AEV Heat Reduction Hood, so I worked both those options (and better aftermarket seat heaters) into the new vehicle purchase. I was able to get almost $6k off the MW3, so it seemed a good way to get back into the game.

As delivered:
photo-87.jpg

8359daae.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
the stock seat height caused me to hit the roll bar, even at the lowest setting. I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'1"; she didn't need to raise the seat from the lowest setting. That wasn't going to work. I took it to my local speed shop, Mach V Motorsports, and the good guys there fabbed up some revised seat brackets for me, lowering the seat base about two inches.

d1f495e7.jpg

aa93316e.jpg

a good pic, showing the height difference from the other seat:
df110f31.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
I dropped the Jeep off at the dealer a few weeks later for the new hood and custom Katzkin covers. Katzkin was a great choice as they make the "black leather option" as a Tier 1 for Chrysler so I knew these would fit like stock. They did.

new hood:
photo-94.jpg

Katzkin Tuscany Series in two tone (with full seat heaters installed, including the seatbacks):
photo-91-1.jpg

photo-92-2.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
my buddy picked up a Raptor and is contemplating his own Expedition build. He's got a crazy idea to sell his house, roam the country and work from the truck. Well, not so crazy.

photo-87.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
I deepsixed the MW3 badges and put some AEV stickers on.

photo-93-2.jpg

I also swapped out the stock exhaust for a Banks Power one, painting the turndown black in the process.

photo-92-3.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
visiting my brother-in-law for Labor Day Weekend in Moyock, NC. He's got a nice drainage ditch so we decided to see how a stock suspension, LWB Wrangler could handle it. It starts out shallow on one end and gets deeper at the other so we got to work our way up to the point that it started dragging. This was about mid-way.

Jeep2b.gif

Jeep1b.gif

We spent the day a few miles up the sand on NC-12.

photo-98.jpg

photo-97.jpg

photo-96.jpg

it never ceases to amaze me how many "SUV" drivers think they can drive on the sand.

photo-99.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
My buddy and I spent a day at another friend's farm up in Woodbine, MD. We helped clear some saplings and do trail improvements, in exchange for access and some "fun time". It started pouring down rain after a bit so we wrapped up target practice and went for a ride.

My buddy with the Raptor is nuts....he had no business out on those trails as big as that thing is. LOL. He went nearly everywhere we did, despite that the ride leader was an XJ on 40's.

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

N2MHT.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
Now that the JK has become the third vehicle, I can start doing the "fun" stuff with the build (my wife was driving it every day).

IMG_0165.jpg

swapped out the MW3 bumper for the AEV Premium bumper and added IPF 901XS lights.

2C7F4A8B-9750-4205-9B53-C1460C4E4759-6397-00000C27D43D73BB.jpg

Savegre's and 35" MT/R's along with AEV's 3.5RS kit are going on next week

photo-113.jpg

PGT

Adventurer
I've got a set of JW Speaker LED headlights on the way. I've also asked Santa for the snorkel, just released AEV. Hopefully, he gets the message. :p

PGT

Adventurer
35's and Savegre's on, waiting for the suspension. I ordered the tires "pre-crudded up" so as to increase my Mall Cruiser status points. :victory:

097D10F9-CE8D-450C-A9C8-4A29FE4DC710-16515-00001B22467E63E7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles