hitch-mounted spare tire rack in 1.25"

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Instead of going with a custom rear bumper on my SX4 I was thinking about opting for a hitch mounted spare tire rack. Are there any that come in 1.25"? I can only find 2", and even with the lowest profile adapters that would put the tire way too far away from the tailgate of the car and we all know adapters never fit as tightly as we'd like them so there's going to be rattles and bangs from the back.

I'd like one that folds down to gain access to the tailgate (a must) and if it can still incorporate the hitch (as in still be able to pull a trailer with the rack mounted as well) that would be the cherry on top. So anyone know any companies that make what I'm looking for for a 1.25" hitch receiver?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
And to be extra picky, one that is slightly angled forward like the Curt MFG one, since the tailgate has a pretty good rake on it on the SX4.

Am I looking at custom here?

ExpoMike

You're likely going to have to build it. Keep in mind, 1 1/4" receivers are light duty so I don't think I would want to having a spare on it and tongue weight from a trailer. One or the other is likely the safest thing.

Good luck.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
You're likely going to have to build it. Keep in mind, 1 1/4" receivers are light duty so I don't think I would want to having a spare on it and tongue weight from a trailer. One or the other is likely the safest thing.

Good luck.
I did some rough math and a spare and trailer tongue is perfectly doable. A spare tire/wheel roughly weighs 60lbs plus the mount probably 75 total, then my trailer is almost perfectly balanced. I can lift my tongue with my pinky so probably add in a safe 50lbs for that and we're still well under the 200lbs even taking into account the trailer hitch will be further out now.

I still might go the easier route and just modify my Curt MFG hitch to a 2" receiver tube. Having to deal with adapters to fit 1.25" all the time is really annoying. The Curt hitch has already proven to be strong enough to even be a recovery point (I've proven that over and over again, so I think it can handle it.

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
I got the hitch haul adapter that allow you to store the rack in the up position when empty, instead of using it with the rack I went to local fab shop and had the tire rack custom built, took it on and off truck to see how I liked it and to check angles. Think I dropped $180 total, would be alot les if I had made it myself.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
I have a swing down spare rack that mounts to my receiver hitch. It is a 2" and I did have a 1-1/4 hitch so I used a reducer. I have 31" tires so you're looking at 45-50 lbs hanging off of it. The rack had so much play in it that I ended up getting a 2" hitch and it is so much more secure now. There's a reason you don't see any made for the 1-1/4" hitches.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The hitch on an SX4 is light in construction. It bolts with one bolt left and right frame rails
and one bolt that clamps a plate to the center tow hook. It has a long receiver that will put alot
of leverage on it. Make it yourself, keep it low angled back close to the gate and keep it from rocking back and forth.

Post what you come up with.

Imprezive

Anything ever come of this? I'm thinking of doing the same. I only have 27s on my car so I'm not too worried about the weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior