10 VEHICLES MOST STOLEN - What else do you to do protect your truck from thieves?

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
In South Africa, carjack capital of the world, we consider LR Defenders extremely safe because they make such lousy getaway cars ;)

General Automag

Adventurer
When did 1996-2006 Chevy/GMC trucks become identical?

Car theives don't run VIN numbers to confirm the Ram they are going to steal is actually a 2004...... They steal the vehicle that matches their needs/wants.

The top Chevy/GMC stolen model is a 1999, this year. Next year, it will most likely be the 2000 Chevy/GMC based on demand for stolen parts. The wiring harnesses and anti-theft systems are very similar on these models as well.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
My Dad had his 1985 VW Vanagon Diesel stolen once, Police found it two blocks away, seems that the thieves didn't know about glow plugs so they pushed it to try and get it going. If they would have got it going it would only run for a few kilometers before needing to go to the garage for another repair. After that he left it unlocked with a note on the dash saying please steal - nobody touched it!

Lowjack so tgat if it is stolen I can get it back quicker.. a buddy of mine had his built xj loaded on a flattop truck and absconded... he got it back a few days later a bit lighter. That is when I decided I wanted lowjack on my next rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Willy G

Adventurer
I have a Suzuki Samurai with 2 piece shackels F/R, no sway bar, what brakes, and a Spring over Axle, I am sure that someone could get that thing started, with the correct tools, but my money would be on the fact that they would go to an intersection and get t boned, or round a corner and roll it 5 times.

But for long term storage, I have the factory fusiable link that disconnects the ecm from the battery, and the fuse block, (Found that one out going down the interstate) and the Transmission Shifter Alinement pin, I can drive it no problem, I would like to see anyone else do that.

But its all about the little things that make it harder to steal

spacer

Observer
There's a growing practice in bicycling to leave a fixed gear bike (no coasting) with the brakes disconnected and the handlebar stem a little loose, preferably on a steep hill. The thief will usually go downhill to pick up speed faster, and most of the time ends up in a tangled mess of bike, wheels, and road-rashed evildoer.

bronconite

Observer
Here are some Ideas I picked up from the online Bronco community.

Wire your ignition switch through your cigar lighter. You push it in so it completes the connection, start the truck, and it automatically resets.
Simply trip your inertia fuel cutoff switch. It should be easy to get to and the bad guys won't be thinking of it.
Wire in a hidden switch to disable anything (fuel pump relay, ignition switch, eec relay, etc.) that won't allow the truck to start.

Bergum

Adventurer
Or, even better.
Install a timer with 20 sec delay to cut ignition.
Who will steal a car that does not run propperly?

12valver

re: ravelco...you have to be careful w that syetem bk when it activates you may not be able to get the rig started w/o getting it tower to a shop for some serious wiring repair; a negative when surfing off a remote beach in Baja.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94