10 VEHICLES MOST STOLEN - What else do you to do protect your truck from thieves?

General Automag

Adventurer
The latest "10 most stolen vehicles" includes trucks from Chevrolet, Dodge, and Ford. The 1999 Chevrolet, the 2004 Dodge and 2006 Ford full-size trucks are also on the list. The Chevy/GMC model years from 1996-2006 are almost identical, and many of the Dodge and Ford trucks seem very similar, so it's safe to assume that any of the same body style from any of the manufacturers are "hot" items for car thieves.

The blue book value is less than $10K on most of these trucks, so if you do have yours stolen, your insurance company will do their best to pay out as little as possible. I know we can't replace our truck with what the insurance company would pay out if it were stolen, so theft is a big concern since we live near a major "urban" city. With all of the modifications and extra equipment, we surely would not be "made whole" by an insurance settlement based on current blue book values.

What extra anti-theft measures have you taken to protect your truck?

Here's the link: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/aut...eves.aspx?ic_id=nwsltr_carmn_20121124#slide=1

Bergum

Adventurer
180% reduction in low range, and no way to get it in high if you don't now the shifting on a transfere with sync ball removed... :)
I'll find it down the street.... :)

B4x4.no

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Step1: I live in the country, so should you. Not many cars stolen in my county.
Step 2: I watch my neighbors stuff for him when he's gone. He watches mine. We both have guns are are seen carrying them to our trucks every weekend. So I doubt our neighbors will mess with us. (theft is usually an inside job)
Step 3: You'll need a tow truck unless you can find the fuel pump wire under my fusebox.
Step 4: My truck is stockish looking. No giant lights, snorkle, Detroit Locker stickers or other assorted bling bling. It deosn't draw attention.
Step 5: cameras on my house, game camera in the garage (too bad, where the truck deosn't fit)

Last edited:

General Automag

Adventurer
Dittos for most of your points. It's the occasional trip to the city or simply parking in a Walmart parking lot that you have to worry about. Recently, there have been some break ins into vehicles while parked in the mountains. Usually, the thieves hit the vehicles during hunting and fishing seasons. They break window glasses and steal whatever goodies you have tucked away inside your rig. You're floating in belly boats hours away on the river or are hunting somewhere deep in the woods, and they know that you can't get back to your rig soon.

Also, in the Southeast, there are "roving" groups of auto thieves who will canvas a particular area at a time, and these tend to be suburban and rural areas quite a distance away from what the rest of us would call the "hood."

Anti-theft measures aren't unique to full-size trucks, but if you have any good ones, please submit a post.

I was thinking about a clutch-break pedal lock such as this one http://www.car-theft.org/2009/06/brake-clutch-pedal-locks/ , but of course if you have an automatic, it won't work.

Attachments

• brake-pedal-lock.jpg
    brake-pedal-lock.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 793

98dango

Expedition Leader
I lived in Portland Oregon for many years never even had a cd stolen. I think the fact that my life has.no routine helped. Also my truck at the time was a well built 4runner. You would often see it no top no doors but if you.look inside.you.would find tools guns gpswinch and other camping items.

I think what kept it safe was usage and the look of the truck. Trucks with no straight panels usually have nothing inside

bob91yj

Resident **************
I use "The Club" in addition to a cheap alarm, and some common sense.

Half the time I don't even lock the Club. I figure just seeing it will get most thieves to move on to easier pickings. I understand that nothing is going to stop a determined thief.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Step1: I live in the country, so should you. Not many cars stolen in my county.
Step 2: I watch my neighbors stuff for him when he's gone. He watches mine. We both have guns are are seen carrying them to our trucks every weekend. So I doubt our neighbors will mess with us. (theft is usually an inside job)
Step 3: You'll need a tow truck unless you can find the fuel pump wire that's hidden. FIXED IT FOR YOU.
Step 4: My truck is stockish looking. No giant lights, snorkle, Detroit Locker stickers or other assorted bling bling. It deosn't draw attention.
Step 5: cameras on my house, game camera in the garage (too bad, where the truck deosn't fit)

:sombrero:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
After the drug addict neighbor of my GF had his car "stolen" from the apartment complex, I put a Kryptonite lock around the steering wheel and the OH ******** handle. Not fool proof but it would slow someone down a little.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Ford Aerostar nothing doors are open and the wife always leaves the tank empty...enjoy

Delica. Grant removable wheel, need to shift with Left hand, so slow you could catch it walking...

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
I lived in Portland Oregon for many years never even had a cd stolen. I think the fact that my life has.no routine helped. Also my truck at the time was a well built 4runner. You would often see it no top no doors but if you.look inside.you.would find tools guns gpswinch and other camping items.

I think what kept it safe was usage and the look of the truck. Trucks with no straight panels usually have nothing inside

This. My truck is ugly, old, beat up and hasn't been washed in months. It looks broken down and derelict. I prefer to have things that are low stress like a beater old truck. If I walk out tomorrow and it isn't there I will simply replace it with a different truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Dittos for most of your points. It's the occasional trip to the city or simply parking in a Walmart parking lot that you have to worry about. Recently, there have been some break ins into vehicles while parked in the mountains. Usually, the thieves hit the vehicles during hunting and fishing seasons. They break window glasses and steal whatever goodies you have tucked away inside your rig. You're floating in belly boats hours away on the river or are hunting somewhere deep in the woods, and they know that you can't get back to your rig soon.

[snip]work.

There's some sick people around that are baiting hunting areas with nice expensive diesel unlocked trucks and hunting (deer?) within view/range of thier truck for obvious reasons. Funny that the shifty thiefs don't quite get why hunters are starting to also carry rifles into thier treestands during smoothbore season. Problem solves itsself somehow.

Not sure how I feel about it. LOLz.

Any kind of theft related to a hobby, is 98% likely to be similar hobby people. An inside job, more or less. Model car/airplane racers stalking hotels near said events. Hunting/fishing areas, which is really crazy when you realize you're in the sticks with armed people where you really don't want to get caught with an arm in the cookie Powerwagon. Campground picnic baskets, raided by campgound bears, etc.etc.

I wouldn't leave property alone for long in the Wellsville area either. But that's some of the best wheeling in the US.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
See your agent, you can generally get a stated value policy with all your goodies afixed to the vehicle insured. Yes, it costs more, but you can be fully insured. Being off road can pose a problem anyway and taking part in any organized vehicle sporting event leaves most uninsured under a standard auto policy. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior