compact Volcano Kettles

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I really like my Kelly Kettle, and I have inspired others to get them, and also bought one for a gift. I would like to see a product comparison of various volcano kettles just to be informed of the features of each. Perhaps the OJ writers are working on one?

Hmmm good suggestion.

kevint

Adventurer
How practical are these really? I guess they work great, given the reviews I've seen, but they seem like a fairly specialized piece of kit (pretty much just boils water) that takes up a fair amount of space.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
How practical are these really? I guess they work great, given the reviews I've seen, but they seem like a fairly specialized piece of kit (pretty much just boils water) that takes up a fair amount of space.

Agreed, but you'd be surprised how often it is useful to have hot water around camp.

Plus with kids, they love being able to have a useful task, and gathering grass and sticks, lighting the fire in the chimney, and feeding the fire is a task they really enjoy. If it was up to them we'd be boiling water all day...

AFSOC

Explorer

Fair point. I resisted purchasing a full sized volcano kettle for the reason you raised. I've had the same concerns with the JetBoil units.

As Ray stated, one thing I like about volcano kettles is the "feeding with found fuel factor".

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I can actually say that is all I ever do for food in the backcountry, boil water for the food I take. This would be like a jetboil with natural material for fuel. I don't do Iron Chef in the desert. I'd need a bigger fridge for that.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I have a Kelly Kettle and have used it a couple times. Had to have one after seeing a friend's in use. They are great. Use fuel which is usually found while camping and boils quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles