compact Volcano Kettles

AFSOC

Explorer
http://www.mkettle.com/

http://www.theboilerwerks.com/

Does anyone have any empirical feedback on either the Backcountry Boiler or the M-Kettle? The love for the Kelly Kettle is pretty well documented here and I have always had my eye on the SS medium model until I saw these two little units. The relative small size is appealing to me. Most of my camping is one or two nights and often centered on my moto or trail hiking. I'm sure the convenience and ease of use of a Jetboil is nice to have but in the past year or two I have been dabbling more and more in Bushcraft and gathering twigs & cones for fuel is more a pursuit than inconvenience. If anyone has any honest to goodness impressions from using either of these volcano kettles, I'd love to hear the details.

Full disclosure: it has been several years since I have been afield, away from civilized conveniences for over four consecutive days. I find myself a weekend warrior and not as frequent as I would like.

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I haven't tried these myself but I have heard good things about performance for both.

I also know there is a bunch of controversy about which came first. I can't comment on that. One is UK based and one is USA based if that helps in decision making.

Ray

AFSOC

Explorer
I haven't tried these myself but I have heard good things about performance for both.

I also know there is a bunch of controversy about which came first. I can't comment on that. One is UK based and one is USA based if that helps in decision making.

Ray

I can see that there may be some controversy between the two companies. They certainly look as though they were inspired by one another. I sure hope to find someone who owns one, I'm kind of excited to own one myself. They appear to be a great fit into a Maxpedition 10 by 4 bottle carrier.

RHINO

Expedition Leader

Ray

anyone who poses controversy over either of those two is just plain ill equiped for the arguement,,, you totally left out the copper one that i believe is still available, and a tin from WWI,, then of course we can go way back to irish fishermen who are considered to be the ones who brought them into the west through the chinese trade routes hundreds of years ago. just sayin':sombrero:

Kelly Kettle

Hi folks, just noticed the chat and want to confirm that yes, the Stainless Steel Version of our extremely popular 'Scout' Kettle is now available. So all 3 of our existing models 'Base Camp', 'Scout' & 'Trekker' models are now available in either Stainless Steel or Aluminium. All our cook sets are in Stainless steel and the Pot-Support is Aluminium.

You might also be interested to know that we will be launching a compact new 'Ultralight' kettle in summer 2013 along with a number of other pretty cool items (Hobo Stove, Water filter/purifier, etc.) Will update our websites as these and other new products are launched.

The 'ultralight' suit anyone who wants to keep their pack small and light...backpackers, cyclists, mountaineers & military personnel (as it should be able to hold and re-heat a military ration pack!) :chef:

New product launches will also be popped up on our facebook page as well. Thanks
:camping:

AFSOC

Explorer
I am a proud owner of one and can confirm that they are quite useful.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg, Which do you own, the Backcountry Boiler or the M-Kettle? How do you feel about the capacity, does it ever leave you wanting? I love the light weight and small size but wonder if their capacity is enough. I know that can be mitigated with a second or even third boil but maybe if capacity is bothersome, I would be happier with a larger kettle? Love to hear more about your experiences.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I have a backcountry boiler. It's great. Capacity is just right for one person doing dehydrated meals, or 2 people for heating up water for hot chocolate or hot cider.

AFSOC

Explorer
Good to hear the capacity is adequate. Are there any gripes in function that you wish were different? I still haven't ordered one yet.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I've followed the development of the excellent Backcountry Boiler, inspired, designed and made by Devin Montgomery, ever since it was first discussed on Back Packing Light.com.

The simple fact is that the guy that started selling the Mkettle deceived Devin into sharing information on his (Devin's) design, he then had the manufacturer of the Ghillie Kettle's produce the Mkettle. It is believed that the 'M' signified Montgomery, the original designer!

All this is detailed on BPL.Com.

When I first saw Devin's design I offered to pay upfront to secure one, and I have serial 002 of the first production run. Devin put in a serious amount of work into his design and even taught himself the art of metal spinning to build his pre-production prototypes, he then had to advise a metal spinning facility how to manufacture his lightweight 'Boilers as they'd never worked with alloy of this gauge!

And he hasn't stopped innovating... The current version of the Backcountry Boiler is now a one piece construction and has increased capacity, there's also alternative fuel options, a pot stand and a separate grill option.

I heartily recommend Devin and his excellent Backcountry Boiler, and I say that as a supporter and customer from the start, he's developed his design into a proven product and built a company to supply and support it and his customers. I'm buying my second 'Boiler in January.

Backcountry Boiler website, here.

boilerpoints-720x451.png

Edit: The Maxpedition Bottle Holder pouch works with the Backcountry Boiler, as do Lowepro Lens Cases, both also work with the JetBoil SOL Ti.

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi folks, just noticed the chat and want to confirm that yes, the Stainless Steel Version of our extremely popular 'Scout' Kettle is now available. So all 3 of our existing models 'Base Camp', 'Scout' & 'Trekker' models are now available in either Stainless Steel or Aluminium. All our cook sets are in Stainless steel and the Pot-Support is Aluminium.

You might also be interested to know that we will be launching a compact new 'Ultralight' kettle in summer 2013 along with a number of other pretty cool items (Hobo Stove, Water filter/purifier, etc.) Will update our websites as these and other new products are launched.

The 'ultralight' suit anyone who wants to keep their pack small and light...backpackers, cyclists, mountaineers & military personnel (as it should be able to hold and re-heat a military ration pack!) :chef:

New product launches will also be popped up on our facebook page as well. Thanks
:camping:

Welcome to ExPo! I have a Kelly Kettle, and love it. It has been used from the Sonora desert to northern Canada, and everywhere in between. One question, what is the best way to get all the creosote-like crud off the inside of the boiler chimney?

Kelly Kettle

Hi Ray,
Personally, I have never cleaned my own kettle as we tend to use solid wood sticks which burn nice and clean. However pine cones/sticks can leave a sticky cresote-like build up which need a little bit of elbow power to be removed.
Customers have provided the following tips: 1) Oven Cleaner, 2) Spray WD-40 (or similar) and leave to soak for a while before wiping off, or 3) Good old fashioned wire wool and hot soapy water!
A preventative tip used by Scouts is to coat the chimney with liquid soap and the soot will stick to the soap. The chimney will still look messy & black, but when it comes to clean-up time the soot will wash right off with the soap!

Hope these help.

will

Adventurer
I really like my Kelly Kettle, and I have inspired others to get them, and also bought one for a gift. I would like to see a product comparison of various volcano kettles just to be informed of the features of each. Perhaps the OJ writers are working on one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles