Show me what a multi axis hitch ca do.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
I'm all for common sense, but for the afore mentioned reasons the pintle brings the suck. If you need the full 6DOF Max all the way.

Like anything, a pintle does have some drawbacks. For the average wheeler, the Max and its like are good enough. But I'm not an average wheeler and I'll trade a bit of noise that doesn't bother me in the least for absolute strength under any conditions. Buy a pintle once and forget it forever. Buy any of the other couplers and then pray you're not one of the unlucky ones.

Woods

Explorer
Have you ever heard of a max coupler having an issue?

Like anything, a pintle does have some drawbacks. For the average wheeler, the Max and its like are good enough. But I'm not an average wheeler and I'll trade a bit of noise that doesn't bother me in the least for absolute strength under any conditions. Buy a pintle once and forget it forever. Buy any of the other couplers and then pray you're not one of the unlucky ones.

Woods

Explorer
I have the 6,000 lb. design (old design shown in the video) and it does the same thing. I don't consider it a problem though. I've never heard it make any sound. I think the design is loose, but that doesn't mean it's a problem.

I have posted this before and it was posted that the problem has been corrected. Hopefully other owners with the latest design will chime in.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have the 6,000 lb. design (old design shown in the video) and it does the same thing. I don't consider it a problem though. I've never heard it make any sound. I think the design is loose, but that doesn't mean it's a problem.

I'm not good with its loose by design for ~$250. Why is it loose?
Add weight and wash board road in and it will become looser in time, then you have problem.

antarctican

Observer
My lovely SA ball hitch rotates 360 degrees. Though that might be useful for off-camber situations, I find that it's when I go through a deep gulley that the front edge of the hitch mount hits the flat area of the ball mount that worries me. The hitch mount hasn't bent but I've been considering a replacement technology.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Have you ever heard of a max coupler having an issue?

Yes, seen one broken personally and have seen posts on the web. Not that I think its bad, rather just pointing out that I believe the pintle is a stronger (thus more reliable) system. My 2c
I know the amount of abuse we gave military trailer/hitch setups and the rarity of a broken pintle was nearly unheard of. Good enough for me.

Hafwit

Adventurer
Don't leave out the TREG coupler. I currently have two TREGs, one Max, two pintles, and multiple ball couplers. The TREG seems very comparable to the Max. I wouldn't put the pintles or ball couplers in the same category, or for that matter on the same page. My $0.02

Cheers,
Greg

One shot

Observer
Can someone kindly post a copy of the multi-axis coupler installation instructions? Before I could install it, my dog ate the paper. Really.
Thanks.

TacoDell

Adventurer
Yes, seen one broken personally and have seen posts on the web. Not that I think its bad, rather just pointing out that I believe the pintle is a stronger (thus more reliable) system. My 2c
I know the amount of abuse we gave military trailer/hitch setups and the rarity of a broken pintle was nearly unheard of. Good enough for me.
I've read more current writings about a lunette breaking... then failures of a Max C.
granted... the Max is fairly new in the market, when compared to the historical lunette/pintle.

I have both mounted to my trailer (always)...
I use the Max. C. primarily...
the lunette/pintle combo is there for back up.

A lunette/pintle can be made to work fairly quiet.
It's as simple as being sure that the pintle is the correct size for the lunette's ring diameter.
failure to be sure of a correct fit... means more noise... and the chance for damage.

Those whom use that combo ball/pintle drop hitch are asking for probable damage and lots of noise.

Is the lunette/pintle combo as good as my Max C. ?
no... sorry, but it will never articulate as smoothly as the Max C.

Is the lunette/pintle stronger then a Max C. ?
not really much evidence testing which would be tougher.

Is the lunette/pintle easier to use then the Max C. ?
I'll have to say yes initially... but after some experience with the Max C.
it's only a slight advantage IMO

Don't take me wrong...
I really like my WWII designed 360* lunette
coupled with my 5 ton pintle... it fits and works fairly good.

But not quite as good as my Max C.

is $ 225. too much to pay for a Max C. ?
hardly... My WWII lunette stand alone,
would sell for nearer $ 500 if offered FS on the current mrkt.
M100 or M416 reproduction lunettes would still retail at $ 180. and up.
^ that don't include the cost of the casting neither

All the currently mfgr'd lunettes/pintles are cheap chinese crap. (CCC) Lol

quality WWII stuff isn't getting cheaper, nor is it overly abundant in todays mrkt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles