Lets talk portable air compressors

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
I've had an Superflow MV-50 for about 6 years now. The plan was to use this thing till I got my OBA set up or till it died. I re-plumbed it to a standard fitting and got a long large diameter hose that works as a pseudo-tank. Truth is it's worked so well for me that I put that OBA money to other uses and haven't looked back since. Yes it does take about 5 minutes per tire (33's) but I've been ok with it. It's still running pretty good, the filter housing has a crack but otherwise its ok.

I started thinking it might be time to replace before it dies on the trail plus it would be nice to upgrade the power as well. The MV-50 puts out about 2.5 CFM@ 90psi. and goes for about $65 or so. I started looking at Viair compressors and noticed they were priced a lot higher but CFM's were about the same (Viair 400P - 2.5 CFM for about $200). The Viair 440p goes for about $300 and still only puts out about 3 CFM.

I looked at ARB and WARN but those are priced more inline with a permanently mounted proper OBA system.
I saw Superflow has an MV-90. It puts out 3.7 CFM and sells for under $150.
Smittybilt has an air compressor that puts out 5.6 CFM and is priced at $150 (yes, I know...Smittybilt)

Here is where I need your help. From what I understand the CFM and duty cycle are the most important features of a air compressor no? Are Viair compressors that much better to justify the price with a lower CFM rate? Has anyone tried the Smitty? That 5.6 CFM is very tempting but unless this is a total sleeper, I don't think I would be getting it because of the bad rep Smitty has.

Can anyone recommend something I may have missed? so far I'm thinking about getting the MV-90 as the 50 has worked so well for me but I'm just not sure.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Another option is to buy another mv50 and plumb them together into one output line.

Yes I thought about that. Excuse my ignorance but if I were to run two MV-50's parallel (each putting out 2.5 CFM) would that give me a total output of 5 CFM? or does it not work like that?

BTW, thanks for the link!

NC_IslandRunner

SE Expedition Society
Viair 460043, guy had one last spring and It's a beast.1.66 CFM and 100% duty cycle, aired up 3 trucks in no time.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes I thought about that. Excuse my ignorance but if I were to run two MV-50's parallel (each putting out 2.5 CFM) would that give me a total output of 5 CFM? or does it not work like that?

BTW, thanks for the link!

It should be around 5cfm combined. I'm putting together a pair of small Firestone/Thomas compressors, got the idea from that link I posted. Even if the ones I'm using are a bit on the weak side I can upgrade them down the road. One thing to point out is that I believe the Smittybuilt ones are the same model as the Q Industries and the Harbor Freight compressors are Viair all with different stickers. This guy sells tested used MV50 compressors with great feedback http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Volume..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item416eeb7f5f&vxp=mtr

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm cheap...
so I bought the Viair 70P, I haven't used it much but the few times it worked flawlessly.

I love my CKMA12 from ARB. It's very small, has a 50% duty cycle, and puts out enough volume to fill a 35" tire in under 2 minutes. It also comes with a 100 psi cut off switch, wiring harness, illuminated toggle switch, and a mounting bracket.

If you add up all the years of service this little guy will provide you, it's an incredible value. It will most likely be the last 12V compressor you ever buy, unless your needs change and you decide to upgrade to it's big brother, the CKMTA12. If the price is the only thing scaring you, remember, Christmas is almost here so keep an eye our for deals.

CKMA12.jpg

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
have you considered a large capacity C02 system? i just finished building this setup for mine. i plan to supplement it with a small ARB compressor for auxiliary - but this holds nearly 4 gallons of liquid C02. it will flow 300PSI at 45CFM

null-37.jpg

Kssting

I also have the ARB CKMA12 and have used it several times to air back up and it works great. Having it permanently mounted under the hood also means I don't have to carry it in the back with everything else.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm happy after 3 years/w the ARB 12vdc HP compressor as OBA and

I carry the Q-industries MV89-twin cyl compressor-for portable use (Screamer)

If in a hurry, I can air all up from 18 psi to 30 psi in 5 minutes-usually takes about 8 minutes

Lotta choices-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have a Puma 12v compressor with integral 1.5 gallon tank. This puppy is fast, especially since it can keep running and filling the tank as I move from one tire to another. The tank is also nice in that it allows me to reseat a blown bead, as long as I pull the valve core. This is actually the 2nd one I've owned; the first one I separated the compressor from the tank and shoehorned both of them into the fenderwell of my 1st-gen 4Runner. After I sold that truck, I was disappointed with the performance of every other compressor I tried, so I bought another and I simply have it strapped down to the floor of my JK in the dead space between the back seat and my Edgestar fridge. You can read more about these on IH8MUD. I bought both of mine from a company named Buzzard Gulch but you can also find them from them and a couple other companies on eBay.

12V_12_VOLT_PUMA_PORTABLE_AIR_COMPRESSOR_1_HP_1_5_5bf9418ff2d8aeee3b0f_1.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used an mv-50 for a couple of years, then switched to the mv-89 as well. There were several occasions where I aired up mu 33s, then a friends and never had a problem with it. Though it has been a few years since I've fully aired down and used it to air all four back up, I haven't done this with 35s. I've been meaning to air one down to 10-12psi and see how long it takes to bring them back to 26psi where I normally run them.

theksmith

Explorer
i did quite a bit of research about a year ago, my conclusions:

under $100: buy a new MV-50 every few years
under $250 and overall best value: search "puma 12v air" on ebay
under $600: ExtremeAire Magnum
sky's the limit: engine-driven, if not possible then oasismfg.com

don't try a permanent mount with an MV-50, i found that they did not last long mounted in the engine bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne