Light mounting positions

4x4junkie

Explorer

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Do they define "conversion kit"? Because a HID conversion using proper replacement lenses or projectors designed for HID bulbs is very different from someone just slapping HID bulbs into the old housings made for an incandescent bulb... (the latter of which being where the problem is)
A "proper replacement lens or projector" would need to be an entire assembly that is adjustable on at least one axis and calibrated/fixed on the other. The assembly would need to be certified to meet the criteria of FMVSS-108 as well; that's the missing element in most "kits". It is NOT legal to take the projector from one legal system and just pop open a bucket and attach it.

This is a legal example of a complete 7" HID kit for a Jeep JK.

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
Yep. They are 24v truck-lite LEDs. Two floods, and two spots. I have one step-up converter mounted behind the back seat. Never had a power issue, 'cept blowing the inline fuse once when i ran all 5 of the lights at once (one flood is in place as a worklight for the bed of the truck). Got it thru a company in new england, Jamestown Distrobution, or something, i'd have to dig the emails out.

On the bumper are jus 4 130w KC Daylighters (2long range, 2 driving)

This one?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51844

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That is precisely the type of kit I am talking about.....
If you ever wonder if a light is legal, send me a link to it and I'll let you know.
The manufacturer of a legit kit would back you up at inspection time too.
There are VERY FEW legal HID retrofits available, btw.

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
Got the trapezoid pattern lights mounted on the bumper. I still need to get the 24v power worked out and wired up.

re5yju6y.jpg

Sent from my StarTac

bob91yj

Resident **************
I do see many of the Baja guys still putting lights up above though so maybe there's a good reason for it I'm not aware of.

We mount them up high to get the beam further down the road. Most will still run some amber lighting down low for foggy conditions. I'm pretty happy with my set up on the truck all things considered. I was really concerned about possible glare through my sun roof, turns out the bigger problem is the glare off of the arms on my sideview mirror housings.

baja10002012025.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier