Light mounting positions

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
I've got a pair of flood pattern lights and a pair of spot lights to install on my truck.

Are different mounting locations better suited to each type of light?

I was planning to put one pair on the front bumper and the other pair up on the roof rack. Which should go where, and why?

Sent from my StarTac

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've never cared for lights of any kind up top myself, it tends to hide shadows from stuff on the road surface (rocks, divots, potholes, etc.), making it harder to see (less contrast). It also lights up more dust in the air right where you're trying to look through (not to mention glare off your hood if they aren't set back far enough). I do see many of the Baja guys still putting lights up above though so maybe there's a good reason for it I'm not aware of.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Put them both down on the bumper. I go spots in the center, and flood/fogs on the outside for the widest spread.

78Bronco

Explorer
Spots for driving lights should be centered and mounted just below the hood line on the front. Floods are redundant with factory headlights and fogs so I would put them on the roof facing out each side of the vehicle so you can lightup the surrounding area if stopped at night setting up camp, fixing your truck or helping a neighbour expo member. Really cool would be a magnetic mount and coily power cord so you can move them under the truck or point out back etc.

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
All 4 of these lights won't fit on my bumper (they're 9 inches wide). Also, given my wimpy 9004 stock headlights, anything helps. I was able to get these lights for a screaming good deal, so that's why I'm trying to figure how to work best with what I've got.

That said, here's more info from the manufacturer about my lights and beam patterns:
http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=63571

Here are the two patterns I have, what I was calling flood isn't a super diffuse flood, they call it "trapezoid":
patterns.jpg

I just want to try and get the right lights in the right places for the right reasons. I'm looking for some technical guidance beyond "I think lights on the roof look ************".

...which is why I post these questions on ExPo and not the Xterra forums :ylsmoke:

jersey96_xj

Been waiting to figure out where to place mine as well. I think I'm going with the center of the bumper with the beams for the reasons stated above. Thanks

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You live close by ---- I'm curious about the pattern on the floods. I'm concerned about the cut-off.
We should test these things...

How fast will you drive with them and where/when will you use them?
Those floods will only do you any good on the bumper for forward lighting. They might be good on the back or sides up top for slow crawling adventures, setting up camp, etc. But they're REALLY bright by the spec sheet.
Switch them to only come on with the highbeams. If they glare too much or throw too much light upward, have mercy and only use them offroad.

As for the spots on the roof, point them dead ahead but you won't be able to use them on the road at all, ever; keep that in mind. They'll come in handy in really tall grass, really bad mud, or when you're on the trail at night and are on a nasy bit of down-hill (like Beasely).

Be prepared to cover them or get a ticket if you travel out of the greater GA area. They're not legal to run, don't look legal, and will get lots of attention in certain states.

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
You live close by ---- I'm curious about the pattern on the floods. I'm concerned about the cut-off.
We should test these things....

When I get them running, let's do it.

How fast will you drive with them and where/when will you use them?

Off-road & slow. Maybe on road with high beams if no one else is around (not that I would ever break the law (I just got a ticket for having a license plate frame, of all things)).

Those floods will only do you any good on the bumper for forward lighting.

As for the spots on the roof, point them dead ahead but you won't be able to use them on the road at all, ever; keep that in mind.

That's what I figured, wider beams down low and spots up high.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
Be prepared to cover them or get a ticket if you travel out of the greater GA area. They're not legal to run, don't look legal, and will get lots of attention in certain states.

that would suck. but i've been out of Ga with the ones on my rack and havent had any problems.

i have two floods and two spots on the roof and they do glare up the windshield. i have a few ideas for that, but havent gotten to anyone them 'cept the strip of 5% tint across the top of the windshield. that helped some.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
that would suck. but i've been out of Ga with the ones on my rack and havent had any problems. ...
Most of VA, most of CA, most of MD, lots of places in urban NJ, NY, and even around New Orleans.
Lighting enforcement is spotty ---- sorta like the illegal retrofit lights you see more and more of. Canada has issued a "do not pass" enforcement bulletin to their inspection stations for HID retrofits.

Lord Vader

Canada has issued a "do not pass" enforcement bulletin to their inspection stations for HID retrofits.
Are you refering to at the border crossings? Here in Canada, what lights you can run varies by Province. And even then its up to the discretion of the local PD. Here in Calgary, tons of guys in big trucks run insane HID's with no cut offs bliding everyone on the road. Odds of getting stopped for an HID retrofit are slim to none.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Are you refering to at the border crossings? Here in Canada, what lights you can run varies by Province. And even then its up to the discretion of the local PD. Here in Calgary, tons of guys in big trucks run insane HID's with no cut offs bliding everyone on the road. Odds of getting stopped for an HID retrofit are slim to none.

Sorry; I was thinking of Mass and got it confused with Canada.

430654_10151363009645088_654540087_23289322_221198871_n.jpg

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
^ thats crazy, but understand able. these conversions can be pretty crazy. and ontop of that, these retards arent aiming their lights right. then these idiots with that ugly "cali lean" on their trucks.... smh

i've yet to have trouble from va or md about the lights. maybe the out of state tags help... lol *shrug*

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
i've yet to have trouble from va or md about the lights. maybe the out of state tags help... lol *shrug*

I see in your signature that you are running some 24v lighting on your truck. How are you powering them? Dual batts? Transformer(s)?

My lights (the subject of this thread) are 24v as they were originally destined for a military application.

My plan is just to use a small step-up DC transformers to power each pair of lights.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
Yep. They are 24v truck-lite LEDs. Two floods, and two spots. I have one step-up converter mounted behind the back seat. Never had a power issue, 'cept blowing the inline fuse once when i ran all 5 of the lights at once (one flood is in place as a worklight for the bed of the truck). Got it thru a company in new england, Jamestown Distrobution, or something, i'd have to dig the emails out.

On the bumper are jus 4 130w KC Daylighters (2long range, 2 driving)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94