Build thread. . .18 foot custom box truck freightliner

mcurcio1989

Hoping to get a few different things from this thread. First let me say I'm new here and I was told this would be a good place to start with this vehicle. Def a cool site from what I have seen so far. Right now I have got a handful of vehicles you could label expedition worthy over land, sea, or air. This is the current project. Myself my brother and a friend purchased it on what you could say was an impulse. It was from a friend and he gave us a friendly deal. It is a 2000 freightliner that was converted to what you see in 2007. It has a cummins n14 with a 10 speed manual and 600k miles. From everything I have read it is a very solid rig and powertrain, good reliability and efficiency for what it is. As it sits it is basically an insulated box truck with windows, a rear entry door and access through the cab. That said if you like what you see we are willing to sell at 20k US dollars.

As of now it is looking like we are going to build and RV out of it. So I am looking for some advice as to how to go about doing that. First of all we are located on Ohio and does anyone have an idea on what it takes to get this registered as an RV compared to a commercial vehicle. It was previously registered as an RV. Im gonna have to look around here and find some build threads but I am curious as to how you guys go about adding water and a bathroom to vehicles like this. I know you can always use the portable toilets but I'd rather go with something more permanent. How have you guys dealt with insurance and what might a cost I can expect be (perfect driving record etc). Any thoughts, advice, insight, ideas, opinions, whatever are very welcome here!

attachment.php

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
First of all we are located on Ohio and does anyone have an idea on what it takes to get this registered as an RV compared to a commercial vehicle.
How have you guys dealt with insurance and what might a cost I can expect be (perfect driving record etc).

Welcome aboard, I look forward to your built.
As far as Ohio RV see - - Ohio Revised Code » Chapter 4501: MOTOR VEHICLES Q(6)(b):
“Motor home” means a self-propelled recreational vehicle that has no fifth wheel and is constructed with permanently installed facilities for cold storage, cooking and consuming of food, and for sleeping.
Also a current thread here on the Expo Portal http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84724-When-does-truck-become-a-RV

I have Progressive for my 'non-normal' motor home and are happy with them.

mcurcio1989

Thanks! that is some helpful info. One other thing than would be I know that normally if you are driving a straight truck and add a trailer it means your in a class A cdl. but what about on an RV. I see people towing cars and boats behind RV's all the time. I assume there is an exemption? I am curious because i would like to be able to tow my boat behind this. . .still a little unsure about taking this to a ramp haha. Just wondering i am sure I'll get a lot of these answers from the dmv tomorrow but there usually not very helpful when it comes to oddball stuff like this.

cwsqbm

Explorer
No CDL required if its truly a motorhome. Technically you need a different weight class rating license than a normal car license, but most of those 45' bus-based motorhomes are driven by guys without the right license. Just make sure your overall length (truck + boat) isn't over the limits (which vary by state but California at 65' is a big enforcer) which shouldn't be a problem unless your boat is over 30' long.

Google "toterhome" and "hdt conversion" separately to find forums where people talk some of the things involved in using a class 8 truck as an RV without a CDL.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
You don't see too many conversions with dual rear axles. Are you going to keep them? Are both drive axles?

More fun with twice the bumps out back..............

mcurcio1989

Both are drive and we will keep them. There would be advantages to removing one but I think it would be more trouble than its worth. I don't even have a jack that can lift this thing. I appreciate that info cw. I will look into those things you mentioned. I don't really even have a problem getting licensing. I have looked up the prices and its not even that expensive.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Another good resource for the commercial truck conversion types is http://www.truckconversion.net/forums/ where a lot of units started out exactly where you are or earlier in the conversion stage.

I built mine with full bathroom, full kitchen, everything permanently mounted so a rigging into camp takes less than 5 minutes, I'm adding a hydraulic self levelling system to eliminate as much from that process too. That's the beauty of a rig like that, I have a fully built Jeep and a couple of bikes with me so I maximize the the use of my trucks capacity, get the best of a couple worlds that way.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
You don't see too many conversions with dual rear axles. Are you going to keep them? Are both drive axles?

More fun with twice the bumps out back..............

That really depends on the type of set-up that they are. If they are connected together like a tandem trailer, or on a floating "H" like ours, it will make the ride smoother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne