Looking for a good soft bag for first aid supplies

mkitchen

Explorer
Got my REI cooler

Well I got my REI cooler that Sonoran Traveller suggested and it really looked perfect, till I got it. It's much bigger than I thought and it would be a bit too big for my first aid kit. The smaller one would probably work fine or I can keep looking for a good day pack with a fully opening zipped front, which is still a good choice. The purchase was not a waste though since Mo saw it and latched on to it right off to use as a cooler for day trips. Now there is a thought, using it for what it was designed for eh?

I don't understand why something that is designed for first aid supplies has to be so much more than something similar that has no special designation. It seems that suppliers are just taking advantage of a market. I can't keep buying stuff. I am going to be broke quick and have a garage full of storage kit and a first aid set up that resides in a grocery bag.

Still Looking
Mikey

Well I got my REI cooler that Sonoran Traveller suggested and it really looked perfect, till I got it. It's much bigger than I thought and it would be a bit too big for my first aid kit. The smaller one would probably work fine or I can keep looking for a good day pack with a fully opening zipped front, which is still a good choice. The purchase was not a waste though since Mo saw it and latched on to it right off to use as a cooler for day trips. Now there is a thought, using it for what it was designed for eh?

I don't understand why something that is designed for first aid supplies has to be so much more than something similar that has no special designation. It seems that suppliers are just taking advantage of a market. I can't keep buying stuff. I am going to be broke quick and have a garage full of storage kit and a first aid set up that resides in a grocery bag.

Still Looking
Mikey

Hey Mikey....that's a bummer that it turned out to be too big, but at least it will still get used...thx for the update!

6x6pinz

Adventurer

ABED

They sure do. Probably the same offshore source. I just wanted my first-aid bags to all be red and have the standard patch on them so they were completely unlike anything else in the truck. I don't want to tell someone to grab the 'such-and-such bag' when I can just say get the first-aid bag! The bigger M3-style is hanging inside the back door and one of their 7"Hx5"Wx2.5"************ is in my driver's door pocket. I would have used a Maxpedition FR-1 for the door pocket except for my personal color 'requirement'.
http://www.voodootactical.net/p-62-voodoo-tactical-molle-compatible-emtfirst-aid-pouch.aspx
VoodooTacticalMOLLEEMTBag.jpg
VoodooTacticalMOLLEEMTBagOpen.jpg

EDIT: Apologies to the OP for getting off-track from your specific-sized request for info.

You might check out www.RemoteMedical.com. There are a ton of choices listed in their Equipment Bags & Cases section - http://www.remotemedical.com/results#!Equipment-Supply_2&ea_c=Equipment-Bags-Cases

Cool,there also have a great souce from manafactuer directly:

http://www.wagpual.com/p-553-airsoft-3-day-molle-assault-patrol-utility-backpack-bag-black

MROONFJ

Observer
I use a 5.11medium range bag for pistols. It works great, it has a large center compartment and one side unzips and has a dropdown with several compartments to put your smaller medical supplies.

SOFME

Observer
A good backpack and zip lock bags work best . I do this for a living and would not waste the money on over priced medical bags.

I have $300 bags in closet that I don't use. Cheap pack works much better. Organize it in zip locks and it keeps stuff water proof too.

Sent from the all knowing box!

FWIW, This guy knows his *******.

A $20 duffel bag/gym bag, filled with ziplock "blow-out" packs is the most functional vehicle-based aid bag. Ive seen, and used quite a few. Simplicity under stress.

As an example my vehicle bag (used down range, NOT camping) is a duffle about 26x18x12 it has 8, 2 gallon ziplock bags. Each bag is exactly the same and has enough supplies to treat 2 urgent/priority patients each, or 4 routine. Count it, 16 urgents, or 24 routines. But I only have 4, 500ml bags LR and 2, 500ml of volume expansion (hexstarch).

Also take this for what it's worth... From the size of bag you're looking for, It seems that you have a lot of aid supplies you're trying to bring. You need to really evaluate a few things, if this is the case... How many patients can you relisticly manage? How long are you expecting to be "in the field" without the ability to resupply"? Get rid of "one trick ponies".

I carry a tactical tailor's fanny pack (not sure what the official name is). But I have everything I need to save life/limb and hypothermia. Plus the inside is blaze orange so it's easy to see stuff inside.

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
A bit smaller than originally requested, but how about this?

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-391-new-medical-rescue-response-bag-for-emtems-paramedic.aspx

Or even 2 identically equipped if you feel 1 wouldn't hold enough supplies.

Having 2 bags might not even be a bad idea if it's required to treat 2 purple simultaneously that aren't located right next to each other. Sure, there's only one of you, but there may be other people on scene who have basic / the necessary first aid skills, but for one reason or another don't have the necessary gear for treatment on them.

And you could still organize the main compartment with zip locks for water protection & labeling, as suggested by others.

mkitchen

Explorer
Found an REI bag that seems to fit my needs

I will get some pictures of my bag with the supplies that I carry.
Mikey

soonenough

Explorer
Not sure if someone else already mentioned this one, but I bought a Condor Rip-Away EMT pouch at a local tactical store that holds a surprising amount of gear for its size. There are several videos about it on YouTube. I've been using it for about 3 months now, and so far it's doing well. Most of the time it's just riding in the enclosed bed of my truck, so I haven't put it through much hard use. Overall I'd say the quality is decent but not great; the zippers are okay, the fabric is decent but nothing like a 5.11 or Maxpedition bag. http://www.condoroutdoor.com/ma41rip-awayemtpouch.aspx

Less than $20 shipped on Amazon, several colors available: http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Rip-Away-EMT-Pouch-Black/dp/B003TPNG5E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles