Looking for a good soft bag for first aid supplies

reds12t

Observer
I'm talking $20-30 backpacks. Like for school. No need to have a medical specific bag.

Sent from the all knowing box!

I am looking to build a medical kit since I only have a very basic one. I was surprised by the costs of the pre made kits and am intrigued by the backpack/day pack idea. The question I have is how to keep the ziplock bags organized? The cheaper packs seem to have one large main compartment and one or perhaps a few small pockets outside. I imagine that a large compartment full of ziplock bags would be difficult to search through quickly without dumping everything out

mkitchen

Explorer
I like my zip locks

I like the zip locks and I buy the freezer style. They are stronger and have a spot to write what is in the bag. I see what you mean though as far as searching for that special item. That is why I am looking for a bag that opens up all the way. Either a storage bag with a fully opening top or a small backpack that has a fully opening front section. I think with a fully opening front style backpack, you could lay it down and open the bag to see all the contents. It really isn't too hard to see the item that you need.
Mikey

reds12t

Observer
I like the zip locks and I buy the freezer style. They are stronger and have a spot to write what is in the bag. I see what you mean though as far as searching for that special item. That is why I am looking for a bag that opens up all the way. Either a storage bag with a fully opening top or a small backpack that has a fully opening front section. I think with a fully opening front style backpack, you could lay it down and open the bag to see all the contents. It really isn't too hard to see the item that you need.
Mikey

I was rembering the packs I had during school, and inevitably what I needed was always at the bottom of the bag. They did not fully open though, and that would make all the difference in easily finding what you need.

I think I will give the Zip Lock bags a try on my trip to the mountains this weekend. Thanks for the ideas!

What About This?

i actually looked at these this weekend and while a FAK is not what they are intended for, it might not be a bad vessel for what you are looking for. Lots of outside pockets, deep primary pocket, and although it's soft-sided, it retains it's shape (16x12x8) so it might be easier to locate items inside than a bag or backpack. And it was $49. There was also a slightly smaller one (15x10x6) for $39...Anyway, might be worth a look...

http://www.rei.com/product/828512/rei-weekend-cooler

Lowdown

http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel-Bags/Extra-Small-Aviator-Bag/91011-XS/150/Product

Red Oxx aviator extra small bag 30.00! Cheap, lifetime warrenty, made in the USA!!! You may have missed this! Next size up is only 35.00!!

I had two of those custom made by them, with padded bottom, two flat zippered inner pockets, and upgraded metal hardware. I bought two of them, because the starting fee for a custom made pack covered X amount of hours, and they offered to make two for the same price as one custom.

Edit: You wouldn't believe just how much it can hold, even if it's the extra small. They hold vast amounts of stuff. I use a single one as my travel bag.

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Some nice ideas

Thanks folks. You have given me some very nice ideas. I am going to look into them. The picnic cooler is certainly a unique, but good idea. I like the bright green color. That should make it easy to remember to grab it when finished.
Mikey

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel-Bags/Extra-Small-Aviator-Bag/91011-XS/150/Product

Red Oxx aviator extra small bag 30.00! Cheap, lifetime warrenty, made in the USA!!! You may have missed this! Next size up is only 35.00!!

I own a Red Oxx bag and it is super tough and worth every penny.
Huge thanks for the link as I didn't know they had these smaller and very well prices bags. I am going to add some of these to the Christmas list!

Oh and most importantly MADE IN THE USA and supporting a great small biz at the same time.

D

Deleted member 12023

I went to Home Depot and picked up one of the red Husky tool bags. Huge, tough as nails, and cheap. Sometimes you can get a buy one get one deal also:)

mkitchen

Explorer
I'm going to give the REI bag a try.

I like the looks of the REI bag and I will order one soon. As soon as I get it I will let everyone know how it works. I am thinking that having insulated sides and bottom will help protect the supplies. I also like the extra compartment on top. It should help to keep things separated.
I have some tool bags such as the Husky but I don't think it would work as well for first aid. You loose a lot of space allowing the top to come together to zip and having everything jumbled together can cost time when you might not have too much time. Also, already having one such tool bag for recovery gear and another with tools, If I was to ask someone to go grab my first aid bag while I assist with an injured person, it could confuse them. Whereas if I tell someone to go grab the bright green bag out of the back of my pickup, they should not have a problem identifying the right bag.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles