Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bronco Concept?

Once upon a time before Ford ruined it about 17 years ago, the Explorer was actually a great 4x4 truck mechanically, though it did lack the removable top and was beyond woefully bland in the styling dept lol. But yeah, something in the same vein as the '66-'77 Bronc is exactly what we're asking for here. It would likely need to come in 2-door and 4-door versions to sell well in todays market, though that's not something that should stop them from building it...
    1990 Ford Bronco II, dual t-case, locked up on 35s

You guys realize it's fake right?

Quote Originally Posted by Expedition_Bound View Post
    sshhh. They are dreaming. Kinda like why I buy a powerball ticket every once in awhile, to dream about what I would do with all that money.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Expedition_Bound View Post
    Of course, but dreaming is cheap.
    Jared
    2005 Toyota Tundra
    M416

"It is not the place of outsiders to make one-size-fits-all mandates to a world of different shapes and proportions. In doing so, they create an atmosphere where pebbles are polished and diamonds dimmed."

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
    Unfortunately that would mean it'll be saddled with IFS. I don't see much dent in JK sales happening with that.
    The only way it'll sell well in this market is if it has solid axles (such as the D44 & 8.8").
    Couldn't be more wrong.

IFS equiped 4runner/FJ/Tacoma/100series LC/GX470 sell just as well and as long as you are not rock crawling, they are just as good.

I saw this concept Bronco a few yrs ago at an auto show, I like this concept much better. Wonder if its still in development.

2012-Ford-Bronco.jpg

Bronco

Specs:
    Full-time 4WD Sport Utility

Curb Weight
    3,100 lbs.

Tire Size
    265/70R18

Powertrain
    2.0-liter Ford Duratorq TDCi 16-valve turbodiesel

Max horsepower
    128 (178 with nitrous oxide boost) at 4,000 rpm

Max torque
    244 lb-ft at 1,800 rpm

Automatic PowerShift™ Transmission

I think they still really missed it. It just looks like a mini Ford/Hummer. I am really not trying to be down on this, but how hard is it to remake a modern version of the 66-77 body style and have it not look like the "rapper" version? Anyhoo....
    1997 F-350 CC Dually, 7.3 PSD, E4OD, 6637 Intake, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo-Back Stainless Exhaust BYE BYE KITTY Mod, 3" DownPipe, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Rotella 15w-40 Conventional, DONALDSON ELF 7405 Filtration

SOLD: 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    1999 GMC Yukon
    1993 GMC Suburban 2500

2011 34' Sundance by Heartland TT

Quote Originally Posted by drifter_r6 View Post
    I saw this concept Bronco a few yrs ago at an auto show, I like this concept much better. Wonder if its still in development.
    No.

Todd Z.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong.

IFS equiped 4runner/FJ/Tacoma/100series LC/GX470 sell just as well and as long as you are not rock crawling, they are just as good.
    Two different markets dude.
    As you said; "as long as you are not rock crawling"...
    That excludes a LOT of people (maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I was referring to the JK market, not necessarily us members here on ExPo).

The amount of people who pass over the rigs you mention just because of their IFS is huge (I certainly would be among them).
    People want something that is simple to modify (lift), and/or they just want something not as complicated/is more durable.
    Proof is in the fact Chrysler has no problem whatsoever getting JKs to fly out of their door... I'll bet if there was an alternative available (Bronco), many would flock to it because Chrysler's vehicles are not the best put-together. People buy them only because it's the only thing left (besides big fullsize Ford & Dodge pickups) that still has simple solid axles.

All this may not be readily apparent to us here on ExPo only because many rockcrawler guys don't also partake in the camping/exploring thing. But believe me, they're out there (just look at the forum stats over at www.pirate4x4.com, they literally have 12 as many posts and 4 as many members as here on ExPo... I think we may actually be in the minority ).

Quote Originally Posted by drifter_r6 View Post
    That is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. It was said to be based on the Escape SUV chassis (full independent suspension). Definitely could not be any further from what a Bronco should be.
    1990 Ford Bronco II, dual t-case, locked up on 35s

I really wish Ford would come up with a real SUV with a frame, solid axles and a manual transfer case with manual trans option. Something to compete with the JK.
    I bought a new JK to get these things but the overall quality is total garbage compared to every Ford I've ever owned.
    SOLD 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Ursa Minor J30 camper, 3.5" AEV/Synergy/Metalcloak lift, 35s, 4.88s, Tera44 front axle w/ARB RCVs and Reid knuckles, Fox ATS, Warn Zeon 10s on Expedition One full width bumper, Truck Lite and JW Speaker LEDs, sPod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast